TYRE PRESSURE READING ON DASHBOARD

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Unimatrix wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:45 pm Curious as to why the dealership over inflates. Maybe one not worth answering...
Maybe it's entered incorrectly in some database or other and that's what their 'guided diagnostics' tells 'em to put in?

If I use Kwik fit's lookup tool it tells me the answer is 32psi :roll: so that one's wrong as well.

I reckon you should stick with what the manufacturer says, possibly going UP a couple of PSI if it improves things (you can dial-out under and over steer to some extent doing this, but not really pertinent for a Tuscon)

Somewhere on the web, there is a proper calculator, that uses tyre size and load on it, to calculate the proper pressure. You might have to weigh each corner of the car on bathroom scales first :)
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22

Indalo

Post by Indalo »

Unimatrix wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:25 pm Curious as to why the dealership over inflates.
Perhaps their tyre inflator gauge hasn’t been examined for accuracy for a long time? Alternatively, they are just useless and pump some air into the tyres to make it look as though they have actually done something. The big numbers on the gauge are 20, 30, 40, etc, so as 30 would be too low, they just shut off somewhere around the next big number.

Garage hands typically don’t spend much time on small details as they have to perform and complete an awful lot of tasks in a very short allocation of time in order to earn their bonus. The system stinks and always has done. More than any other reason, it is why so many customers complain about tasks not performed when they entrust their car into the local dealership for a service.

All motor trade bonus schemes are first and foremost there to maximise income for the garage owners; let no-one imagine that they are designed to provide speedy, efficient service for the customer! For ‘first and foremost’, you can substitute ’solely’.

Greater workshop throughput at £X per hour per customer ensures that the owners can live a life of luxury while the grease monkeys have to cheat and lie in order to earn a few quid more than the national living wage. To be fair, not every car dealer has people who actively cheat on servicing in order to earn their crust. There are some with scruples although your local dealership may not be one of those.

A good independent is an excellent place to have your pride and joy maintained. Unfortunately, there are certain aspects of our modern, tech-laden cars with which they cannot compete against the dedicated, equipment-laden franchised dealerships. The most obvious item lacking at independent garages, however, is the ability to produce a dedicated dealer stamp in the service book!

There is an existential problem with the servicing regime which manifests itself when a car that has been maintained outwith the dealer network requires some work that ought to be put right under the warranty. Dealers often reject such warranty claims by insisting that there is no evidence to illustrate that the vehicle has been maintained strictly in accordance with Hyundai’s detailed specifications. Most times, Hyundai UK will agree with the dealer’s view on the matter as they don’t like customers who eschew the dealer network, preferring to save a few quid by using an independent.....or just avoiding servicing/pretending to have self-serviced the car.

At the end of the day, 'ye pays yer money and takes yer chance!’ When all’s said and done, if buying used, particularly nearly-new, I’d rather buy a used Hyundai with Hyundai dealer stamps and warranty still intact than something with an incomplete service history performed by some geezer under the arches.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
Unimatrix

Post by Unimatrix »

Indalo wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:49 pm
Unimatrix wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:25 pm Curious as to why the dealership over inflates.
Perhaps their tyre inflator gauge hasn’t been examined for accuracy for a long time? Alternatively, they are just useless and pump some air into the tyres to make it look as though they have actually done something. The big numbers on the gauge are 20, 30, 40, etc, so as 30 would be too low, they just shut off somewhere around the next big number.
Twas an Arnold Clark garage.
Part of me says i would be surprised if their equipment isn't inspected reguarly.
Tho the other part of me isn't surprised if it isn't...
2022 Tucson Ultimate Petrol
Hawklord3

Post by Hawklord3 »

In reply to all especially "Indalo", who was most helpfull. Not sure why, but the problem seems to have gone.
Firstly with a home compressor pumped up to 35 psi, no luck with that and the car dash still showed 33 and 34 psi. Tried again setting it to 36 psi, no luck, still showing 33 and 34 psi. Went to a Sainsburys garage, set the machine to 36, everything went fine, got in the car, still showing 33 and 34 even after a 7 mile journey. Next day went to a tesco garage, set the machine at 36, pumped up, then after 2 miles it reset. Hooray, at last!!, thought I would look at the pressure it now showed, guess what, 34 all round,go figure!!.
Nashy

Post by Nashy »

Mechanics set mine to 35 all round

Once they warm up they go to 37 and some times 38
TUCSON, PHEV Ultimate in Black
Ordered 21/02/2022
Arrived Tilbury Docks 06/09/2022
Arrived Dealers 19/10/2022
Delivered 07/11/2022 had 8 miles on clock

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views