E5 or E10 Fuel

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

roadster wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:21 am Long term effects on rubber and plastic components in the fuel system are more difficult to be certain about.
Having experienced the problem of old fuel in an Atco and again in a Briggs & Stratton machine, I learned that draining fuel at the end of the season and refilling with fresh petrol before the first cut in the Spring avoided the issue.

In respect of the Tucson, I shall wait a while to see how I get on with E10 next time I use it but if E5 becomes difficult to find, I already have a 500ml bottle of my favourite fuel additive should I decide to add it.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.

Deleted User 1130

Post by Deleted User 1130 »

roadster wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:21 am The owners manual does suggest a preference for E5 so that's what I use. This is coloured by a rash of problems I have had with various other engines in lawn mowers and other petrol powered garden equipment as well as a Chinese built motorcycles. There is no doubt that Hyundai and other manufacturers have put in precautionary changes in new vehicles and this includes automatic ignition timing and fuelling adjustments that detect both detonation and exhaust oxygen and temperature sensors. Long term effects on rubber and plastic components in the fuel system are more difficult to be certain about.
Can you point me to the page in the manual that suggests E5? My manual suggests a RON of 95 or above for optimal performance. I've not seen any E10 thus far with less than 95RON so based on that, I'm in the optimal range according to Hyundai when using E10 and therefore that's what I use.
italianjob1970

Post by italianjob1970 »

Hyun-day! wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:33 am
roadster wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:21 am The owners manual does suggest a preference for E5 so that's what I use. This is coloured by a rash of problems I have had with various other engines in lawn mowers and other petrol powered garden equipment as well as a Chinese built motorcycles. There is no doubt that Hyundai and other manufacturers have put in precautionary changes in new vehicles and this includes automatic ignition timing and fuelling adjustments that detect both detonation and exhaust oxygen and temperature sensors. Long term effects on rubber and plastic components in the fuel system are more difficult to be certain about.
Can you point me to the page in the manual that suggests E5? My manual suggests a RON of 95 or above for optimal performance. I've not seen any E10 thus far with less than 95RON so based on that, I'm in the optimal range according to Hyundai when using E10 and therefore that's what I use.
It doesn't suggest E5, at least not in mine.

fuel.jpg

23 Tucson 230 HEV
Saltcreek

Post by Saltcreek »

Checked my manual for fun, says to use RON95 which is E10 in the UK
roadster

Post by roadster »

There are no absolutes in this matter so when the manual says that 15% ethanol is definitely harmful it is surely reasonable to assume that 5% ethanol carries less risk than 10%. Regulations insist that new cars must be E10 compatible so you do need to read between the lines to some extent. Perhaps the fiddled diesel emission figures over the previous decade have made me cynical, but I also have personal experience of the undesirable effects of E10 in older vehicles.
Tucson PHEV Premium
italianjob1970

Post by italianjob1970 »

roadster wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:29 am There are no absolutes in this matter so when the manual says that 15% ethanol is definitely harmful it is surely reasonable to assume that 5% ethanol carries less risk than 10%. Regulations insist that new cars must be E10 compatible so you do need to read between the lines to some extent. Perhaps the fiddled diesel emission figures over the previous decade have made me cynical, but I also have personal experience of the undesirable effects of E10 in older vehicles.
15% is not harmful, otherwise the manual wouldn't state this.
Also we are not talking about older vehicles, the Tucson is designed to run on E5/10/15.
A total non-issue.
23 Tucson 230 HEV
roadster

Post by roadster »

italianjob1970 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:11 am
roadster wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:29 am There are no absolutes in this matter so when the manual says that 15% ethanol is definitely harmful it is surely reasonable to assume that 5% ethanol carries less risk than 10%. Regulations insist that new cars must be E10 compatible so you do need to read between the lines to some extent. Perhaps the fiddled diesel emission figures over the previous decade have made me cynical, but I also have personal experience of the undesirable effects of E10 in older vehicles.
15% is not harmful, otherwise the manual wouldn't state this. It does not - it states the opposite!
Also we are not talking about older vehicles, the Tucson is designed to run on E5/10/15.
A total non-issue.
Quotes from user manual:-
Gasoline containing alcohol and methanol

Gasohol, a mixture of gasoline and ethanol (also known as grain alcohol) are being
marketed along with or instead of leaded or unleaded gasoline. For example, “E15” is a
gasohol comprised of 15% ethanol and 85% gasoline.

Do not use gasohol containing more than 10% ethanol, and do not use gasoline or
gasohol containing any methanol. Either of these fuels may cause drivability problems
and damage to the fuel system, engine control system and emission control system.
Discontinue using gasohol of any kind if drivability problems occur.
“E85” fuel is an alternative fuel comprised of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent
gasoline, and is manufactured exclusively for use in Flexible Fuel Vehicles. “E85” is
not compatible with your vehicle. Use of “E85” may result in poor engine performance
and damage to your vehicle’s engine and fuel system. HYUNDAI recommends that
customers do not use fuel with an ethanol content exceeding 15 percent.
NOTICE
To prevent damage to your vehicle’s engine and fuel system:
• Never use gasohol which contains methanol.
• Never use gasohol containing more than 15% ethanol.
• Never use leaded fuel or leaded gasohol.
• Never use “E85” fuel.
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover damage to the fuel system or any
performance problems caused by the use of “E85” fuel.
Tucson PHEV Premium
italianjob1970

Post by italianjob1970 »

roadster wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:02 pm
italianjob1970 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:11 am
15% is not harmful, otherwise the manual wouldn't state this. It does not - it states the opposite!
A total non-issue.
Quotes from user manual:-
Gasoline containing alcohol and methanol

Gasohol, a mixture of gasoline and ethanol (also known as grain alcohol) are being
marketed along with or instead of leaded or unleaded gasoline. For example, “E15” is a
gasohol comprised of 15% ethanol and 85% gasoline.

Do not use gasohol containing more than 10% ethanol, and do not use gasoline or
gasohol containing any methanol. Either of these fuels may cause drivability problems
and damage to the fuel system, engine control system and emission control system.
Discontinue using gasohol of any kind if drivability problems occur.
“E85” fuel is an alternative fuel comprised of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent
gasoline, and is manufactured exclusively for use in Flexible Fuel Vehicles. “E85” is
not compatible with your vehicle. Use of “E85” may result in poor engine performance
and damage to your vehicle’s engine and fuel system. HYUNDAI recommends that
customers do not use fuel with an ethanol content exceeding 15 percent.
NOTICE
To prevent damage to your vehicle’s engine and fuel system:
• Never use gasohol which contains methanol.
• Never use gasohol containing more than 15% ethanol.
• Never use leaded fuel or leaded gasohol.
• Never use “E85” fuel.
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover damage to the fuel system or any
performance problems caused by the use of “E85” fuel.
We don't get E15 in the UK as far as I know, but they do in the US so it most likely relates to US models.
Are you looking at different manual?
23 Tucson 230 HEV
roadster

Post by roadster »

italianjob1970 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:52 pm
We don't get E15 in the UK as far as I know, but they do in the US so it most likely relates to US models.
Are you looking at different manual?
[/quote]
For convenience I took the snapshot from the Canadian manual which is available on-line but page 1-8 of the UK manual has the same warnings that I highlighted without the reference to E15 and other North American alternative fuels.
Tucson PHEV Premium
Pcreber

Post by Pcreber »

I don’t have a hybrid, but got about 42mpg at around 70 to 75 on the motorway using E10. Above that and you are down in the mid 30s

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post