High engine REVS while towing

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
geonata

Post by geonata »

We picked up a folding camper over weekend. On the return trip with the trailer, the Tuscon seems to not shift up and the engine was as high revs. Switching from ECO mode to sport mode and manually changing to a higher gear resolved it for the trip but I think in that mode the HEV mode is not as effective.

Has anyone else notice high engine Revs while towing, in HEV/ECO mode?
We have a PHEV but the battery was fully used on journey to collect.
2022 Ultimate| Shimmering Silver | PHEV 265

Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

My HEV does this when driving up most hills. I think Hyundai have geared the car to be efficient, with the downside of high revving when climbing… I guess the same also happens when towing.

To counter this, I use the paddles to manually change gear.
geonata

Post by geonata »

I tried the paddles and it solved it until it times out and goes back to D -- and then the engine returned to high revs. This was in Norfolk and not particularly hilly at all. We will be out with the trailer again this weekend. And we will see if it was a one off or if it happens again.
2022 Ultimate| Shimmering Silver | PHEV 265
Philr

Post by Philr »

Adding a trailer on the flat is effectively the same as going uphill without one as it just increases the load on the drive train. This is what determines which gear to keep the drive as economical as possible. Don't forget the key factor that manufacturers need to be seen to be doing is making their products as green as possible. What they don't want is to say that a car does x mpg, only produces y nasty emissions etc and then be found out - think VAG and their emissions cheating.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
ClassicPete

Post by ClassicPete »

I can agree about the high revs when towing. I have an 1100kg caravan and holidayed in Somerset and Dorset earlier this year. The route to the site in Dorset involved quite a few hills and I was concerned about the way the engine map held the gears for waht seemed too long a period before an upchange. Recognising that petrol engines produce their torque higher up the rev range than a diesel, may account for this situation, but I got into the habit of changing into power mode just prior to the hill climb and that seemed to reduce the instances of high revs. I suppose that Hyundai engineers need to look at their engine/gearbox mapping to account for towing situations for this to get sorted properly
2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid 230 Amazon Grey/Moss Grey trim
1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 of 505
1973 Semi-works Austin Allegro Rally Car
Tucson Ordered 9/8/22
Arrived Tilbury 21/12/22
Collected 27/1/23
Nashy

Post by Nashy »

Yesterday (without towing) drove Lynmouth - Porlock - Minehead and it was screaming up the steep hills, never, only plus side was going down hills regenerated 3% battery
TUCSON, PHEV Ultimate in Black
Ordered 21/02/2022
Arrived Tilbury Docks 06/09/2022
Arrived Dealers 19/10/2022
Delivered 07/11/2022 had 8 miles on clock

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post