Running out of petrol

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Philr

Post by Philr »

An idle thought as I pulled into the petrol station today.
Any ideas what would happen if I ran out of petrol in my self charging car?
Would it carry on in EV mode until the tank of electrickery was exhausted as well or would the car just die, even though there's a good few miles of electrik power available?
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV

XADE

Post by XADE »

An HEV wouldn't run at all, and apparently could cause damage. Although there may be some safeguard to this on the Tucson like not starting at all.

You shouldn't really ever be under a quarter of a tank.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
Unimatrix

Post by Unimatrix »

XADE wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:14 pm An HEV wouldn't run at all, and apparently could cause damage. Although there may be some safeguard to this on the Tucson like not starting at all.

I usually wait until it's in the single digits of mileage left of fuel :D :lol:
2022 Tucson Ultimate Petrol
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Philr wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:46 pm Any ideas what would happen if I ran out of petrol in my self charging car?
Would it carry on in EV mode until the tank of electrickery was exhausted as well or would the car just die, even though there's a good few miles of electrik power available?
As I found out in this thread (when I removed the Fuel Pump Relay), the car will still move under electrical power when the ICE isn't available. However, quite how far you'd get (1~2 miles?) is another matter. A dashboard indicator tells you to 'cease and desist' from this tomfoolery immediately ;)

When you grind to a halt, you'll then need the services of a Hyundai dealer, as there's be no way of recharging the Traction battery (to start the ICE).

Screenshot 2023-07-21 162438.jpg

I don't quite see the battery will be "damaged" though - I'm pretty sure the BMS would protect it.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

Philr wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:46 pm An idle thought as I pulled into the petrol station today.
Any ideas what would happen if I ran out of petrol in my self charging car?
Some more user manual 'words of wisdom'. The last few sentences in particular.

20230721_164910.jpg

XADE

Post by XADE »

Unimatrix wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:28 pm
XADE wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:14 pm An HEV wouldn't run at all, and apparently could cause damage. Although there may be some safeguard to this on the Tucson like not starting at all.

Must admit it's the first I've heard about it being a quarter tank.. from a quick Google.

Basically, just don't try either running low on fuel or attempting to use the small battery to drive the car. :lol:
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
Puchi70

Post by Puchi70 »

Unimatrix wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:28 pm

You shouldn't do that. Sediment collects at the bottom of the fuel tank, which could clog the fuel line if the fuel level is too low. This has happened to me twice with my Kia because I also always waited too long to refuel. Now (with my Tucson) I refuel at the latest when the remaining range is in the double-digit range, better still in the triple-digit range. I think it's too much to fill up when there's still a quarter of a tank left (unless it's worth it when the price of petrol is low ;) ).
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Puchi70 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:30 am Sediment collects at the bottom of the fuel tank, which could clog the fuel line if the fuel level is too low.
There are lots of web sites that debunk this myth. I've always rated the quality of debate at Pistonheads.com, which has a thread on this topic.

I have experienced fuel 'sediment' related problems in the past.

It happened just after filling up ... when the tank was low. This could easily have been attributed to "sediment at the bottom of the tank", if it wasn't for the fact that it struck two family vehicles simultaneously :!:
(They'd both been filled up within hours of each other, at the same JET Petrol station and presumably, that is where the crud had come from).

I spent a happy hour or two, cleaning out the car's carburettor and the four on my motorcycle :(

There is a newer urban myth circulating, that since the fuel pump now lives inside the petrol tank, it will somehow overheat, if the level drops. The thought that a car manufacturer would place something inside a petrol tank that could overheat is laughable :roll: .
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Unimatrix

Post by Unimatrix »

So not knowing much about petrol tanks here...
I'm going to assume that it'll feed petrol to the engine from the base of the tank?
So if that is the case and sediment will natural fall to the base of the tank then sure it doesn't matter if the tank is empty or full?
2022 Tucson Ultimate Petrol
Philr

Post by Philr »

Not unless the car is older than an old thing.
I used to race a Lotus Elise and the fuel is pumped out of the top of the tank with internal strainers. The pump is in the tank.
Attached picture shows fuel flow.

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 16-30-31 Lotus Elise S1 Service Manual - LotusEliseS1-ServiceManual.pdf.png

Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post