Running out of petrol

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
DocD

Post by DocD »

I get that I’m posting from the smug point of having a PHEV (mind you I paid the premium for same 😉) so can afford to run down the fuel tank beyond most folks comfort, but may I add the following just to set your mind at rest?

In all my cars since 1994 (A6 Avant 2.5 TDI SE, Sportage KX-3 CRDI, Tucson Gen 3 CRDI Premium SE, Tucson Ultimate PHEV) I’ve taken an empirical approach to just how far you can go beyond the car saying zero range: the furthest I got with the diesels was 30 miles beyond zero, and even then I could only squeeze up to 2.5 litres (nearly half a gallon) below full capacity before pump clicked-out. To be sure, I fill my tank until first pump click then gradually top-up to the nearest pound - I‘’ve never brimmed a tank to avoid fuel-spill. 😲
In the situation described above I honestly don’t think that you have anything to worry about - just be sensible and adapt/learn to how your car performs : I have never run out of fuel nor to I intend to, but I won’t also be ignorant of when I actually do need to refuel (might be cheaper when eventually done) than working on first alert(s)?

Cheers 🍻
Ultimate PHEV (Shimmering Silver) Mar22

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post