PHEV question

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
ExTyke

Post by ExTyke »

PhilHornby wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:34 pm

Ah no, not necessarily. If you can keep the ICE at its most fuel efficient rpm, this can be a very effective setup. (It was a system used a zillion years ago on the Deltic locomotive). Honda's i-MMD system can work in something approximating this mode - though the ICE may be supplying drive as well...

In the Tucson, if you're travelling at less than about 10mph (or reversing), only the electric motor is used (because it never slips the clutch and there's no reverse gear). It follows then - in that scenario - that if the Traction battery is emptied, it must start the ICE and keep it charged from the HSG. (The HSG (Hybrid Starter Generator) is rated at 14HP, which can probably produce enough charge to maintain 10mph).

Hadn't thought of that. Thanks. Though I'm guessing sport mode recharges for performance purposes rather than economy. I'd love to get my head round the decisions it makes though. I've just done a 400 mile round trip to London. On the motorway it seems to cycle between ICE powering and recharging and then a discharge to drive the car for a while before switching over again. The only exception being downhill stretches where it prefers to use the battery (I'm' guessing because for the little power that's needed it's better not to have the ICE running).
Ultimate PHEV in Dark Knight

Ordered 6th Aug 2022
Arrived Tilbury 6th June 23
Collected by me :D 18 June 23

roadster

Post by roadster »

There is one other consideration, particularly when planning shorter journeys. It is not good for the engine to start for short periods but never warm up properly. I believe Hyundai have recently made some firmware changes because some customers have experienced oil/fuel dilution issues. In summer I make every effort to prevent the engine firing up on a short trip by avoiding full throttle and not using air conditioning. In low temperatures I do the opposite and use hybrid mode and throttle techniques which get the engine up to full working temperature. usually I have the engine temperature instrument selected on the centre information display. On longer journeys where high speeds are possible I switch to hybrid mode and if possible maintain a speed that keeps the engine hot.

I have to say that Toyota made a much better job of avoiding this by better control of engine temperature but Hyundai's latest firmware may have caught up to some extent.
Tucson PHEV Premium
ExTyke

Post by ExTyke »

I agree with this. I try to stick to EV for short journeys. It's also cheaper to run the car that way if there's enough electricity. I'm also wondering how far I can get into cooler weather just using the heated seats and steering wheel to avoid running heating to start the ICE.
Ultimate PHEV in Dark Knight

Ordered 6th Aug 2022
Arrived Tilbury 6th June 23
Collected by me :D 18 June 23

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post