Windscreen wipers

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
AlexTUK

Post by AlexTUK »

Bit of a random one, went on my first properly long drive in the Tucson over the weekend. On the way down south the weather was sunny and I could not believe the amount of dead bugs that were collecting on my windscreen. Tried using the washer and wipers which did not clear them at all. It was so bad that had to take a detour to find a car wash when I was close to my destination. On the way back it was raining to didn't have the same issue.

Never had anything quite like it before. Is it something that others have noticed? Is there an issue with the wipers or was it just an unusually buggy day? Bit worrying that the wipers made absolutely no difference in clearing them

old man

Post by old man »

It's always helpful if you state the year and model of your car.
That aside, it's unlikely anything to do with the car and the glass. I've had days on long journeys where the windscreen gets plastered with bugs whose blood appears to be glue.
I have a 3 function ice scraper in my car that I've had for years. It has a scraper, a rubber squeegee and a row of very short and hard bristles (no they don't mark the glass).
On days like you had, if you carry a bottle of water in the car, use a little water to moisten the windscreen and soften the bugs a little, scrub the screen with bristle side of the scraper and then rinse off with more water, or use the washers and wipers to finish off.
A small scrubbing brush with short, stiff nylon/plastic bristles will do the same job.

Or one of these used in conjunction with water from you windscreen washers.
https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-c ... 22567.html
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Berty

Post by Berty »

I'd say it was the conditions and not the design of the wiper arms or car.

I still remember driving to Bordeaux years ago and France had this small black flying thing infestation. It was crazy. Couldn't even get out of the car in some places. Anyway, you should have seen the windscreen of the Mondeo when we arrived at the campsite. I still remember out scraping nearly the windscreen and a child said "mum, look at all the dead buggies", odd thing for a toddler to say but that was 12 years ago and I still remember the trouble getting those bugs off every bit of the front of the car. The wipers were struggling to even move over them on the windscreen. You'd actually here them hitting the car at 130kmh on the motorways. Biblical my wife still says it was.

I had to throw clothes out even after stopping for 5 mins to try and eat a picnic after we got off at Calais, they swarmed and had a good go at our Sainsburys sandwich meal deals. Local papers were encouraging people to wear dark clothes for the time being because they were attracted to colour for some reason.

Anyway.......................................I always buy good wipers. I do buy from Micksgarage mostly for Wipers and stuff and they offer the Bosch versions which are good. Some things you shouldn't cheap out on. ยฃ32.29 for a front set based on todays prices for Bosch.
Based in Ireland :mrgreen:
2023 Tucson Executive Plus PHEV
EJH

Post by EJH »

On a side note, anyone else getting annoyed with the backsweep 'sticky' noise when raining from the wipers? Wipers are still same from factory, but only 3500 miles on the clock.
Any recommendations from those who use rubber cleaners that prevent squeegee squeaks?
Ultimate 230 Hybrid+Tech pack, Teal & moss grey
Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
31 weeks 4 days :shock: :roll: :roll:
old man

Post by old man »

EJH wrote: โ†‘Tue May 09, 2023 12:42 pm On a side note, anyone else getting annoyed with the backsweep 'sticky' noise when raining from the wipers? Wipers are still same from factory, but only 3500 miles on the clock.
Any recommendations from those who use rubber cleaners that prevent squeegee squeaks?
In get that on occasion, usually when there's not much water hitting the windscreen. It normally disappears if the rain gets heavier.
Wiper blades get crusted with road grime after a while, which can cause streaking and sticking. I usually get a bit of Scotchbrite or the rough side of a washing up sponge, lift up the wiper blade, double the Scotchbrite over the rubber and rub it up and down the rubber blade 3 or 4 times.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Southern Lad

Post by Southern Lad »

EJH wrote: โ†‘Tue May 09, 2023 12:42 pm On a side note, anyone else getting annoyed with the backsweep 'sticky' noise when raining from the wipers? Wipers are still same from factory, but only 3500 miles on the clock.
11,500 miles on mine now and no problems with my wipers. No dragging or backsweep issues. I've always used Gyeon Ceramic Detailer or Quick Detailer on mine after cleaning and they have been great.
2022 1.6 H T-GDi 230ps Hybrid N Line S in Shadow Grey
EJH

Post by EJH »

Thanks, I'm thinking road grime / film too. Just wondered if there was a specific product to keep them 'non-squeaky' clean ๐Ÿ˜Š I'll have a google ๐Ÿ‘
Ultimate 230 Hybrid+Tech pack, Teal & moss grey
Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
31 weeks 4 days :shock: :roll: :roll:
BP77

Post by BP77 »

N Line S 2023 (less than 250 miles on the clock)

Had the car for less than a week, there were quite a few bugs out yesterday (mainly greenfly) and the windscreen ended up covered in them with the brand new wipers doing absolutely nothing to shift them, I must have used half a tank of screenwash seeing if I could clear them. A light swipe with a microfibre cloth cleaned them so it's not as if they were some super-sticky variety of bug!

I've driven the same roads through the same conditions in the Tiguan I had up til last week and never had any problem clearing the screen. Loads of judder on the backsweep too, and big tide lines at the bottom of the screen where the blade misses. Between that and the rear wipers it all feels a bit cheap and flimsy.
XADE

Post by XADE »

BP77 wrote: โ†‘Mon May 22, 2023 2:59 pm N Line S 2023 (less than 250 miles on the clock)

Had the car for less than a week, there were quite a few bugs out yesterday (mainly greenfly) and the windscreen ended up covered in them with the brand new wipers doing absolutely nothing to shift them, I must have used half a tank of screenwash seeing if I could clear them. A light swipe with a microfibre cloth cleaned them so it's not as if they were some super-sticky variety of bug!

I've driven the same roads through the same conditions in the Tiguan I had up til last week and never had any problem clearing the screen. Loads of judder on the backsweep too, and big tide lines at the bottom of the screen where the blade misses. Between that and the rear wipers it all feels a bit cheap and flimsy.
You could change the wipers then? Have you replaced the screenwash? I've had similar in 2-3 cars, bugs dry instantly on a hot windscreen, no rubber is going to clear that easily unless you're adding something to the screenwash, or havent added enough.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

I changed mine to Bosch Aerotwin blades. Far better than standard.

Although any blade will struggle to shift a dried on bug stain!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post