Fitting roof bars

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
Mr.C

Post by Mr.C »

I have searched the forum but couldn't find any info on the fitment of roof bars to the roof rails of a 2019 Tucson.
Just purchased a Tucson 2.0 CRdi 48v MHD premium SE 5dr 4WD DCT.
Noticed some blanking covers on the factory fitted roof rails. I presume this is where to fit roof bars?
My apologies if this is a stupid question. I'm a newbie on here. Have not got my car yet. I'm collecting it later this week.
I might need to fit a roof box but wanted to make sure I got the right roof bars to fit. Noticed some people had damaged the glass sunroof and didn't want to make the same mistake, or damage my paintwork.

old man

Post by old man »

The comments you've seen on this forum regarding roof bar fittings damaging the sunroof are directed at the latest model Tucson. I have no idea if the same applies to your model.
However, even with the current model, there are makes of bars available that will not foul the sunroof.
The blanking plates you see on your roof rails are not for fitting roof bars as far as I'm aware. When purchasing roof bars you will also need to purchase a foot pack that is designed specifically for your exact vehicle and those feet clamp onto the flush roof rails.
I would recommend Thule bars and fixings as long as they don't foul the sunroof once fitted. Unfortunately, Thule and Hyundais own brand of bars ironically are the ones that will foul the sunroof on the latest Tucson, so you'll need to check regarding this for your vehicle.
Have a look at the Roofbox Company, they do a good range and are very helpful if you need to talk to them. Here's a link with your vehicle details entered, which shows bars suitable for your car and you'll see tha some have provisos about certain makes. Phone the company if in any doubt.
https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbveh ... query=8316

I have fitted Nordrive bars and feet to my new type Tucson because they don't foul the sunroof, but they are not as well thought out as Thule kit.
I understand that Yakima make decent kit, but I have no personal experience of them, so do some research and phone Roofbox for advice.
I have carried Canadian canoes on my roof for several years and would always use the best roofbar kit available because of wind forces on the boat and fittings. I would urge you to do the same with a roof box on the roof.

Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Mr.C

Post by Mr.C »

Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.
old man

Post by old man »

Mr.C wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:09 pm Thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.
I should have mentioned, once you find out which kit you want that fits your car, especially if it's Thule whose kit all has part numbers, have a search on E Bay etc, as you may find used kit for sale that's cheaper than new.
EJH

Post by EJH »

Just received a response to my email from 'The Roofbox Company'
Disappointing really that Hyundai still haven't solved an everyday need for their customers. Apart from 'you can put roofbars on the car, but at your own risk if the sunroof pops open'.

Screenshot_20230502_113817_Email.jpg

Ultimate 230 Hybrid+Tech pack, Teal & moss grey
Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
31 weeks 4 days :shock: :roll: :roll:
old man

Post by old man »

There are make(s0 of roof bars that will not foul the sunroof. Nordrive is one, I have them and can attest that they do not foul the sunroof if fitted in the correct place.
Someone else here claimed he'd found another make that worked as well, but I cannot remember who it was or the make of bars..
In my case, I deliberated over buying a new Thule footpack to use with Thule bars I already had. I went with Nordrive because they don't foul the sunroof and new bars inc the fitting kit was cheaper thn a new Thule fitting kit without any bars.
I wish now I'd spent the money on the Thule kit because their fitting kit is superior to Nordrive and I don't feel happy about carrying 16' canoes on the Nordrive kit. For me this is now superfluous as I've recently given up canoeing and removed my bars.
I am not a lover of the glass and sunroof and have no need to open it, so had I bought the Thule kit, I would have taped over the sunroof switch to prevent accidental opening. It was suggested to me that removing a fuse to prevent opening the roof might work, but I didn't look into it and I'd guess that the sunroof is governed by a fuse that has other uses too.
Each to their own, depending on whether opening the roof is important, whether the roof bars will be a permanent fixture and what is to be carried on them.
EJH

Post by EJH »

Yep, I get the fact that some bars fitted a certain way can be used without fouling the workings of the sunroof. I assume (?) That you bought the Nordrive without knowing for sure that they would be OK to use with the sunroof & got lucky?
I think my point really here is why, if they manufacture the car with roof rails, haven't Hyundai after 2 years of the NX4 build got a solid solution for roofbars that can be utilised with the sunroof open? I know this is a question for elsewhere, so just venting really.
PS. I bought a set of roofbars off 'Micks garage' that carry my box no problem, but no way can the sunroof be opened.

20230105_132339.jpg

Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
old man

Post by old man »

I assume (?) That you bought the Nordrive without knowing for sure that they would be OK to use with the sunroof & got lucky?
Yes, you are correct. At the time, the Nordrive bars and fixings were just under £100 as opposed to a Thule fixing kit that was £160 on its own.
I got the Nordrive from Micks Garage, what make have you got - I can't make out the name in your pic.

I understand your frustration about fouling the sunroof. I can partially understand that Thule kit won't work with the sunroof as they're more generic, although they are a market leader, so I'm surprised they got it wrong. Maybe they used a car without a sunroof as their template.
It's the Hyundai own make that I find really surprising, how could thay have got that wrong !!
EJH

Post by EJH »

Nordrive too.

Screenshot_20230502_135922_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ordered Mar 26th '22
Collected Nov 2nd 2022
old man

Post by old man »

EJH wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:01 pmNordrive too.
I see.
If you'd have got this type your sunroof would open without fouling unless the fittings for the roofbox foul the sunroof.
https://www.micksgarage.com/d/roof-rack ... roof-rails

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post