Air Con

All Hyundai Tucson related discussions
StephenP

Post by StephenP »

Good to know I’m not alone. I’m afraid I did do the terribly un-English thing and popped it into Sport but still no joy. I am imagining (but what do I know?) that when in EV (even though HEV is forced by Sport mode it defaults to EV when stationary) as there is nothing rotating under the bonnet to spin the compressor it doesn’t chill the vehicle…. I hope there’s a solution. The dogs and I were getting very hot and bothered and I kept trying to divert from the traffic queues just to keep us cool…

Big S

Post by Big S »

StephenP wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:40 pm " as there is nothing rotating under the bonnet to spin the compressor it doesn’t chill the vehicle…. "

Just to let forum members know the A/C system in our HEV/PHEV cars,has an electrically driven compressor, not a belt driven one via the engine
like it is in cars that only have a petrol/diesel engine in them. I am talking about the high voltage traction battery here not the smaller 12 volt battery. That said then the A/C should still be operating when the car is stationary as it doesn't need the engine to be on, but Hyundai appear to do weird things with this car so they may stop the compressor after you have become stationary to preserve the traction battery.
Also in this weather make sure you have the recirculation switch pressed so you are only cooling the air in the car and not bringing outside air in which will just make the system struggle.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

My aircon worked fine today. I had it set at 19c all the way home from Anglesey to Rochdale. No issues, even when sat stationary at Costco,
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
Wychwood

Post by Wychwood »

I have had no issues with air con at all. It has been really cold in recent hot weather (set at 20c) and I haven’t noticed any reduction in effectiveness when stationary/ in EV mode. I have 230 HEV ultimate. 2500 miles now and average mpg up to 50.5 despite air con being on all the time.
Big S

Post by Big S »

A/C being on all the time won't effect your mpg as its not linked to the engine in any shape or form its totally electrically driven.
I have been using my A/C in these current temperatures and it to works excellent whatever condition the car is operating in, including stationary as others have been recently confirming on here.
Mar10

Post by Mar10 »

I have to say that I haven’t found this at all.

In the recent hot weather the car has been absolutely sweltering to get into, today the arm rest felt like it was going to burn my arm! Within a few minutes of setting off it’s all well under control and nicely cooled down though.

I agree that the air never feels icy cold but somehow it doesn’t seem to matter, it manages to cool things down and get the temperature under control pretty quickly. I leave mine around 19 degrees and on the lowest auto setting generally. I haven’t needed to use the air recirculation to help either although I might give that a go.
Philr

Post by Philr »

In my 16 year old RAV4. there is fully automatic climate control. It decides fan speed, whether the re circulation is set or not so all that is needed is to set the temp.
I've found that the Tucson needs more intervention on these things but I do like the diffuse option.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV