Hello, hello!

New to the Hyundai Tucson Forums? Introduce yourself here
Deleted User 758

Post by Deleted User 758 »

Bit of trouble getting registered, apparently I look like a spammer... Anyway I persisted because you look like helpful and friendly folk.

I don't have a Tuscon as yet, I came to find out if they're any good and would it make good replacement for a diesel Octavia estate. 60+ mpg, jus sayin' :)

old man

Post by old man »

That's a piece of string question.
To get anywhere near answering your question we'd need to know how old your Octavia is and which diesel engine it has and also, are you considering new or used Tucson and if used, which model.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Deleted User 758

Post by Deleted User 758 »

old man wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:06 pm That's a piece of string question.
Yes, either that or an apples and oranges comparison!

I have a 2018 Octavia estate with a 1.6 116PS diesel (as far as I remember). It has great economy, I easily get 65 mpg. But Skoda can't supply Ocavias for a year or so and I'm not willing to wait. I also fancy a change. Diesels have become too difficult and more expensive to buy or lease so I'm having to look at petrol.

On my list is a new Tuscon in Premium trim. HEV engine. Must haves include front parking sensors (so not the SE Connect then). A big boot and rear passenger space are also important. I'd be leasing on contract hire, not buying.

I'm not convinced about PHEVs but willing to listen and learn from real life experiences.
old man

Post by old man »

I will tell you what I know - it's for you to pick the bones out of.
I've had 4 Skodas since 2010 and the first of those was an Octavia estate. Based on that car and figures I quickly looked up online, I believe you'll lose a bit of boot storage space. There's a spare wheel well in the boot of the Tucson which offers extra space if you take out the polystyrene tray. I've filled mine with a full sized spare, but there's still space for some knick knacks. The Tucson doesn't do as well as Skoda with thoughtful storage touches, especially in the boot where there's no separate spaces at the sides of the boot for storing smaller items and there's no bag hooks either.
I'm 6' 2" and have the drivers seat right back so there's not much leg room behind me in the back seat. Best you take yourself to a dealer and check out space for yourself because only you know what you need. The PHEV version has less boot storage as it has a bigger battery which is situated under the boot floor. In the HEV version which I have, the battery is under the rear seat squab. Not an issue for me but the rear seats don't fold as flat as in other cars I've had.

As for fuel consumption; If you mean you regularly achieve 60mpg in every day driving and driving normally, then I'd say (I might get shot down for this) you'll never see that figure in the Tucson. You might see it flash up on the computer if you've been driving frugally and doing the right things to get the battery power to cut in a lot. I'm not a light footed driver, but just as an example, I drove 200 miles from my home to Yorkshire at the weekend. I left in the night and was travelling at around 75 -80 mph most of the way and the computer told me I'd achieved 32mpg. The return journey was somewhat slower in heavy traffic and I achieved 42mpg. I often see high 40s when driving steadily locally, but certainly, once you pass the 65-70 mph mark you'll see consumption figures drop off. Other people here have said they've achieved over 50mpg, but whether that's long or short term I can't say.

One of the reasons I've liked Skodas is because I think they have German engineering and similar quality for less money. Two cars previous to the Tucson I had a Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tsi Petrol and apart from low fuel consumption and it had 4WD which I didn't need, I really liked that car. The Skodas I've owned had what I describe as a Germanicness to them that I like and I was dubious that the Tucson wouldn't measure up to the Kodiaq. A test drive indicated that it would measure up and in almost 6 months of ownership I still have that opinion. This is a nice car and hopefully I'll keep it for a while.

Some owners, including myself are experiencing computer gremlins in the infotainment system and digital dash, which whilst a little aggravating and shouldn't be there, don't diminish my liking of the car.
Others are experiencing problems with the GPF light illuminating (Gasoline Particulate Filter) and have had to return to a dealer for a regen. As far as we know on this forum, this hasn't affected HEVs and PHEVs.
I would encourage you to get a test drive and endeavour to drive a car with at least the same drivetrain as you wish to buy, if not the exact trim spec. I was lucky to get a drive in the model I wanted, which sold me on the car.
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

Hi and welcome. I have no experience of the Skoda brand so have little to contribute. However I just thought I'd "shoot down" OM. :lol: I have a PHEV and over the first 1800 miles my average is 74.3mpg. Now the caveat with that is I assume there is no allowance for how much it has cost to charge the battery when the car makes it's calculations. That said my electric bill has barely increased since ownership so guessing it's not a lot. As OM says once you get above 70mph the mpg drops like a stone. If I stay between 60-70 on the motorway I roughly get around 42mpg. By comparison with my previous Santa Fe diesel I typically only used to get 25mpg on average, mid 30mpg on a long run using motorways. Most of the miles I drive are short local trips punctuated with perhaps one long trip every month or so.
1.6 TGDi Plug-in Hybrid Ultimate 5dr 4WD Dark Knight Grey
old man

Post by old man »

I have a PHEV and over the first 1800 miles my average is 74.3mpg.
Yes, but you have a PHEV and the OP professes to prefer a HEV.
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

old man wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:04 pm
Yes but he did say also "I'm not convinced about PHEVs but willing to listen and learn from real life experiences."
1.6 TGDi Plug-in Hybrid Ultimate 5dr 4WD Dark Knight Grey
old man

Post by old man »

Yorkie wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:20 pm
old man wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:04 pm
Yes but he did say also "I'm not convinced about PHEVs but willing to listen and learn from real life experiences."

He did and maybe your talk of 74 mpgs will turn his head :D
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Hello to you too! We've got a phev and for these vehicles it's not really possible to calculate a true mpg figure because even when the engine is powering the car the battery will usually be making a contribution unless it's been drained of course.

The closest you'll get to an mpg figure is by running the car in hybrid mode in which case the car will run mainly on petrol with the battery cutting in occasionally. When that happens the battery will run the car for a short distance before the engine takes over again. The car is presumably programmed to preserve the battery range at the journey start figure. So, in hybrid mode you can calculate petrol useage on a brim to brim basis, ignoring any contribution from the battery because it should still be showing the same range as when you started. We did a return journey of 300+ miles and on that basis did just under 50mpg. The car was pretty new so we kept under 70mph so I doubt it would be possible to improve greatly on that figure.

Where the PHEV scores of course is using it on short journeys when it won't use any petrol at all, assuming there's power in the battery. Then the car tells you you've done 999mpg and if the readout had another digit it would say 9999mpg! What I do is record and calculate the value of the electricity I've used to charge the battery, top up with petrol and calculate a combined fuel cost for the mileage I've done since last time. With a pence/mile figure I can work out a notional mpg, but it varies of course with the cost of petrol which has been anything but stable lately. All a bit nerdy, but as I'm retired I've got plenty of time!

Which version of the ev you choose is down to the use you make of the car I suppose. I'm happy to have a PHEV because of the flexibility it provides and I only need to charge it every other day. I don't see the point of so called self charging hybrids because they seem to provide little benefit over pure petrol/diesel powered cars. The PHEV is also extremely quiet and relaxing to drive. That combined with the comfort, space and pleasing interior and exterior designs of the Tucson swung it for us and we haven't regretted our purchase at all. Whether we'll say that in a few months time when we're paying some ridiculous price for electricity I've no idea.
old man

Post by old man »

I don't see the point of so called self charging hybrids because they seem to provide little benefit over pure petrol/diesel powered cars.
Very much a personal choice, personally I would have preferred a standard petrol, but I wanted the extra power that the HEV battery gives and I knew I didn't want a plug in .
It's all very much based on personal needs and wants.