New owner of Hyundai Tuscon TGDi Hybrid 230 N Line S...but having problems!!

New to the Hyundai Tucson Forums? Introduce yourself here
brian0782

Post by brian0782 »

Hi

I received my car on the 25th and all was fine and dandy until the a few days later when I couldn't unlock the car with the key fob! I managed to gain manual entry and but was unable to start the car! The battery was completely drained!

I called AA out and they jump started it but couldn't figure out why the battery was completely flat.

Same thing happened yesterday but this time I pressed the 12v battery reset and the alarms started going off! I managed to switch it off by starting the car and the battery seemed fine. But a few mins later it would go flat again. I did the 12v battery reset again and locked the car but the alarm would go off again. I called AA out and they couldn't figure out why it kept draining and suggested I may need to return the car to Hyundai.

I went for a long drive yesterday and managed to lock the car without the alarms going off.

Anyone else had experience with this? I'm at my wits end...in the process of speaking to my lease company about return of the vehicle but was just wondering if something obvious is draining the battery?

Thanks

terryp

Post by terryp »

It may be related to a reset problem that has been extensively discussed under "May 22 Update". At the moment I am waiting to see if a "Hard Reset" carried out by my local dealer will fix the problem.
As your car will be covered by Warranty, maybe a trip to the dealer for a diagnosis would easier that getting it changed.
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
brian0782

Post by brian0782 »

Oh good, that's reassuring. I'll try and find that thread. Yeah I don't really want to be returning the vehicle...waiting to hear back from my lease company
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

This sounds more serious than the reset issue, as that only affects the infotainment/cluster.

Your car needs to go to a dealer for them to investigate.
brian0782

Post by brian0782 »

Oh really? Surely when the car is locked then all lights/infotainment/screens are shut down and nothing would drain the battery? I'm completely dumbfounded by this...
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

The root cause is still unknown, but the 12v battery is suspected as being part of the problem.
old man

Post by old man »

brian0782 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:53 pm Oh really? Surely when the car is locked then all lights/infotainment/screens are shut down and nothing would drain the battery? I'm completely dumbfounded by this...
When you lock your car there are still things running, the alarm system being one of them.
Even the act of locking the car will use some power.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
roadster

Post by roadster »

The battery management system on the hybrid models will cut power to all but essential systems if the ( Lithium ) 12 volt supply drops below a certain level. After this point the driver needs to press the recovery switch and this will override the shut -off for a short time and that should allow the car to be switched on. From the point where the car is switched on the 12 volt section of the battery and the traction battery would both be charged from the engine as required. Any faults with this system would result in the symptoms that are being reported and of course the lithium battery(s) could in theory be depleted over time to the level that was irrecoverable without external charging ( i.e. jump start ).

The user manuals give muddled information about jump starting but I assume the same special terminal which are present under the engine compartment fuse cover of the PHEV is also available on the standard hybrid. If so it would be interesting to put a voltmeter on it when these kinds of issue crop up.
Tucson PHEV Premium
old man

Post by old man »

As well as all the glitches listed in this thread, yesterday evening my car alarm went off several times and unlocking/locking the car would not prevent it. Luckily my wife heard it, because the sound is too quiet for me.
I searched the interior of the car to see if an insect was setting it off - nothing found. I eventually turned off the interior alarm in the settings and it stayed quiet all night thankfully.
I had done a 6 mile round trip in the morning, then in the afternoon I'd had reason to get in the car and switch on the ignition twice. Both times I had the low battery warning flash up telling me to start the car, which I didn't do. I thought this was unusual as the battery must have taken some charge earlier.

Under normal circumstances I'd assume I had a faulty alarm and ring the dealer, but I did wonder if this is allied to all the other gremlins we're getting, which we think are maybe caused by low battery power.
What do you guys think - any correlation and has anyone else experienced alarm problems ?
Mr roadster, I just wrote the above in the thread about the dashboard/infotainment glitches many are experiencing. I'd be interested to know if you think the alarm going off could be related to battery issues ?
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
roadster

Post by roadster »

old man wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:48 am
As well as all the glitches listed in this thread, yesterday evening my car alarm went off several times and unlocking/locking the car would not prevent it. Luckily my wife heard it, because the sound is too quiet for me.
I searched the interior of the car to see if an insect was setting it off - nothing found. I eventually turned off the interior alarm in the settings and it stayed quiet all night thankfully.
I had done a 6 mile round trip in the morning, then in the afternoon I'd had reason to get in the car and switch on the ignition twice. Both times I had the low battery warning flash up telling me to start the car, which I didn't do. I thought this was unusual as the battery must have taken some charge earlier.

Under normal circumstances I'd assume I had a faulty alarm and ring the dealer, but I did wonder if this is allied to all the other gremlins we're getting, which we think are maybe caused by low battery power.
What do you guys think - any correlation and has anyone else experienced alarm problems ?
Mr roadster, I just wrote the above in the thread about the dashboard/infotainment glitches many are experiencing. I'd be interested to know if you think the alarm going off could be related to battery issues ?
In short I don't know, but I have noticed that even a fly will set off the alarm as will a window which is left slightly open. If your model has the 12 volt terminal post under the fuse box cover it would be worth checking the voltage independently of the car's battery management system. The other unknowns are just how long to takes to charge the lithium sub-system and whether this can be done by transfer from the traction subsystem or only from the engine itself. Either way it would take a finite time and the manual ( chapter 8 ) recommends a minimum of 30 minutes running, which even then I doubt would fully charge it. Finding more information about this is very difficult but I have come across this article which hints at the various characteristics that may apply.
https://www.hyundaimotorgroup.com/story ... 0000002069
Tucson PHEV Premium

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post