Newbie re ppf re gen

New to the Hyundai Tucson Forums? Introduce yourself here
dozandmaxine

Post by dozandmaxine »

Got a 70 plate and just booked it in for the 4th forced re gen- wife drives car mainly 2 miles to work each day and back so not enough for car to do a normal re gen - 1st dealership regen was advised to drive down motorway in 4th gear for 30 minutes once a month - this had no effect as light came on again, after second regen told to drive down motorway in 4th for 30 minutes every two weeks - no effect light came on again - after 3rd regen told to drive down motorway once a week - no effect light on again !! At £150 a time this has so far cost me £ 450 and about to cost me another £150 !! Having read some posts on here seems I;m not the only one and someone seems to have got confirmation from Hyundai that they are aware of this and are " working on a software fix " would be helpful to get this confirmation up so I can show this to my dealer and get a refund as they are currently taking the stance that they are not aware of any such fault and that it is down to my driving style !! When I bought the car i was not made aware that the car was not fit for urban driving !!

-

old man

Post by old man »

Firstly, tell us which model you have. It would appear so far from this forum that this is only happening to normally aspirated cars, so if yours is a hybrid it would be good to know that for the purposes of collating info that maybe we can present to our dealers and Hyundai.

Before I go any further, I'm going to be blunt and say that driving any car two miles each way to work every day will do them no good whatsoever. That has been the case forever, even before the advent of DPFs and GPFs so realistically you are your own worst enemy and maybe should have bought an electric car.
As for manufacturers and dealers informing us whether the car we're considering buying is fit for urban driving - they just want to sell you a car and if you cast your mind back to the nineties when the Labour government were telling us we should all buy diesel cars, not them nor the dealer we bought from told us what dirty things they really are and that there would be many problems with DPFs if we didn't drive them in a manner that many of couldn't or didn't want to.

Anyway, moving on; Mine are probably some of the comments you've read in the main thread on this subject and although I haven't (yet) had a GPF problem, and hopefully won't as mine is a hybrid, I feel, and I've been informed that this shouldn't be happening with GPFs as it did with DPFs.
If you've read the whole thread, you'll have noted that some dealers have done one or two regens for free before saying they'll start charging for them going forward. If you've been upfront with your dealer about the type of mileage your car is doing, then arguing that their work should be free will probably fall on deaf ears, but as with all dealers, some are good and some aren't and won't go the extra mile to help their customers.
The info you read about Hyundai becoming aware and are chasing a fix was probably mine also. That info came from the head tech at my dealer and wasn't a definite. He made me feel that Hyundai were actively chasing a fix at that time. I don't now feel that's the case, but they are definitely aware there's a problem, but unless those with the problem complain to their dealer and Hyundai UK, and also if the likes of this forum can collate all these issues and present our findings to Hyundai Uk, then little will be done on their part.

Now I'm no engineer or computer geek, but my head tells me that if it's true that this is only happening to non hybrids, it seems logical to me that that some sort of ECU/firmware upgrade should fix it.
Hyundai ARE aware there's a problem, but getting them to admit it publicly could be difficult unless enough numbers make complaints about it. It currently appears that they are trying to put the onus on new owners and this really shouldn't be happening in this day and age !!
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
dozandmaxine

Post by dozandmaxine »

Thanks for the input my car is the mild hybrid
old man

Post by old man »

dozandmaxine wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:36 pm Thanks for the input my car is the mild hybrid

That's the first report I've seen of any type of hybrid being affected, which is worrying.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

But isn't the 'mild' hybrid, the one with a small motor to assist in pulling away, not the one with a battery and electric motor? Also, the OP says it's a 70 plate which is late 2020/early 2021 - was the new shape Tucson out then?

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
old man

Post by old man »

alan sh wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:59 pm But isn't the 'mild' hybrid, the one with a small motor to assist in pulling away, not the one with a battery and electric motor? Also, the OP says it's a 70 plate which is late 2020/early 2021 - was the new shape Tucson out then?

Alan
You're correct about the mild hybrid bit, but I'm not sure when the latest model went on sale in the UK.
I thought I'd read it was late 2020, but maybe it was introduced to the public late 2020 and then went on sale early 2021.
Was the previous generation of Tucson available as a mild hybrid ?
old man

Post by old man »

old man wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:32 pm
alan sh wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:59 pm But isn't the 'mild' hybrid, the one with a small motor to assist in pulling away, not the one with a battery and electric motor? Also, the OP says it's a 70 plate which is late 2020/early 2021 - was the new shape Tucson out then?

Alan
You're correct about the mild hybrid bit, but I'm not sure when the latest model went on sale in the UK.
I thought I'd read it was late 2020, but maybe it was introduced to the public late 2020 and then went on sale early 2021.
Was the previous generation of Tucson available as a mild hybrid ?
A check reveals that the previous model was available as a mild hybrid, so the OPS car is probably approaching 2 years old and if most of its journeys consist of 2 miles each way, it's no real surprise he has GPF problems.
dozandmaxine

Post by dozandmaxine »

The car is the new shape / model / grille lights ect
old man

Post by old man »

dozandmaxine wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:23 pm The car is the new shape / model / grille lights ect

Thanks for clearing that up.

Something that occurs to me and I've no real idea if it would be relevant to your car and even if it was, your wife would have to teach herself to do it.
I bought a new diesel Santa Fe in 2015. Very often when I went to town to get shopping, a 3 mile one way trip, when I arrived home and got out of the car I could smell that the car was performing a regen. It might smell different on a petrol car, but with the diesel it smelled like burning brakes.
We're told that we shouldn't switch off our car whilst it's performing a regen. Trouble is, you don't know it's occurring until you've switched off the engine and got out of the car !
If you're able to tell when the car is doing a regen by the smell, perhaps you and your wife could could train yourselves to get out of the car leaving the engine running and if the car is doing a regen, then let it finish before switching off.
I know it would be a faff, but it could be a way of alleviating your problem if you keep the car. The way you're going at present, you'll eventually have to have the filter changed and I guess that won't be cheap going on DPF prices.

This article may be of interest to you, although it's a gate and horse bolted thing now.
https://www.sinspeed.co.uk/blog/does-my ... r%20models.
dozandmaxine

Post by dozandmaxine »

now funny you mention a smell of brakes - just the other day i got that exact smell and I hadnt been braking hard on my drive so thought it unusual - so this may well be worth a try - question then would be how would I know when to turn off ??

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post