Hello from Sunny Rochdale

New to the Hyundai Tucson Forums? Introduce yourself here
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

I picked up my Ultimate Hybrid last week. A lovely change from my previous car - a BMW X3 (2016 model). Overall, it's great, but does have a few niggles. I'd be interested in other peoples views.

Dealer issues:
1. The tyre pressures were well overinflated. 41psi all round and should be 35 (and yes, I checked them when cold). Even the built in system told me they were all 41psi.
2. They should have told me about Valet Mode and made me set a pin for it. This is a potential security issue.

Infotainment issues.
1. I need to be able to turn off the lane keeping assistant permanently. In my opinion, it is dangerous (happy to have a discussion about that). I have to turn it off every time I get in the car. It looks like you can turn it off in setup, but it turns itself back on (this may just be a bug and you are supposed to be able to turn if off permanently).
2. I get bongs when driving, but I have no idea what they mean. There should be a message appearing. I’ve managed to turn off a lot of them, but still I get them.
3. When using a USB stick to listen to music, each time there is a 'bong' from the system (e.g. approaching a speed camera or the blind spot sensor notices something), it stops the music. This is very irritating. It doesn't happen when listening to the radio or using Android Auto.
4. Can we please have an option to turn off the 6 'bongs' every time I start the car? It is extremely annoying.
5. When on Android Auto, it takes up 2/3 of the screen. The other 1/3 just says “Android Auto”. Either expand the Android Auto bit to the whole screen or use that 1/3 space to display other stuff. [Maybe this should go in enhancements].
6. The infotainment user manual is useless. All it does is ask you to go to an online manual. Not good when you want to look something up in the middle of nowhere. Please ask them to supply a proper manual.

Possible enhancements:
1. Could we have a digital display of the current speed in the centre of the console? I would find that very useful when not driving on cruise control.
2. Could we have an oil level display? This may not be possible if there isn't a sensor in the engine but my last 3 cars have had it.
3. We can either display the fuel usage from the time we filled up or from when we last started it, while we are driving. But not both. I know they both are stored but it would be nice to see either on demand.
4. If I buy another one, it would be nice if it had a small locking area or hidden pocket where I could store keys.
5. Also for future models, have two (or more) USB ports which link to the infotainment system. So, I could have one for a USB stick and one for a phone.
6. See the issues above.

Cheers

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).

old man

Post by old man »

I don't have time for a comprehensive reply and I don't know all the answers anyway, but for now; It is possible to have a digital speed display in the centre of the dash. You need to have a fiddle with the controls on the R/H/S of the steering wheel where you can toggle through several different functions. As you've already discovered though, you cannot have everything you want displayed up on screen at the same time.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

As for the lane assistance you will have to turn this off on the steering wheel (by pressing the button for a few seconds) every time you get into the car.
All manufactures have now taken in consideration that this is now a safety feature, As before you could turn it off and it would stay off.

Jools
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
old man

Post by old man »

alan sh wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:42 pm I picked up my Ultimate Hybrid last week. A lovely change from my previous car - a BMW X3 (2016 model). Overall, it's great, but does have a few niggles. I'd be interested in other peoples views.

Dealer issues:
1. The tyre pressures were well overinflated. 41psi all round and should be 35 (and yes, I checked them when cold). Even the built in system told me they were all 41psi.
Dealers are not created equal, some get it right and others don't. I've had the same problem as you when picking up a new car and whilst a PDI should be completed fully, they aren't always.

2. They should have told me about Valet Mode and made me set a pin for it. This is a potential security issue.
What is Valet mode, I haven't come across that ?

Infotainment issues.
1. I need to be able to turn off the lane keeping assistant permanently. In my opinion, it is dangerous (happy to have a discussion about that). I have to turn it off every time I get in the car. It looks like you can turn it off in setup, but it turns itself back on (this may just be a bug and you are supposed to be able to turn if off permanently).
As already mentioned - you can't.

2. I get bongs when driving, but I have no idea what they mean. There should be a message appearing. I’ve managed to turn off a lot of them, but still I get them.
I too have the odd bong sounding and I don't always know what they are. I've only just noticed that one of them is a speed camera warning.

3. When using a USB stick to listen to music, each time there is a 'bong' from the system (e.g. approaching a speed camera or the blind spot sensor notices something), it stops the music. This is very irritating. It doesn't happen when listening to the radio or using Android Auto.
Don't know, sorry.

4. Can we please have an option to turn off the 6 'bongs' every time I start the car? It is extremely annoying.
In the sound setting in the infotainment screen, there is what seems to be the option to turn these off, but I just tried it and it didn't work - so goodness knows what it is turning off.

5. When on Android Auto, it takes up 2/3 of the screen. The other 1/3 just says “Android Auto”. Either expand the Android Auto bit to the whole screen or use that 1/3 space to display other stuff. [Maybe this should go in enhancements].
Don't know - don't use it - sorry.

6. The infotainment user manual is useless. All it does is ask you to go to an online manual. Not good when you want to look something up in the middle of nowhere. Please ask them to supply a proper manual.
There is a section on the infotainment system in the large owners manual that you should have gotten with the car, Whether it's comprehensive enough for you I can't say. I personally find this infotainment system more intuitive than my last car (Skoda) and as with all of them, familiarity comes with usage.

Possible enhancements:
1. Could we have a digital display of the current speed in the centre of the console? I would find that very useful when not driving on cruise control.
Press the top left button on RHS of steering wheel (the icon looks like a book page). Press it as many times as it takes the icons at the top of the screen to show the car. Using the left hand toggle switch directly below the page button, toggle up or down to show different data. There's a couple of different pages of fuel consumption data in there and also the option to show digital MPH between the two main dash dials.

2. Could we have an oil level display? This may not be possible if there isn't a sensor in the engine but my last 3 cars have had it.
Can't remember the last car I had with an oil level gauge. Most of these things nowadays are shown by warning symbols and lights.

3. We can either display the fuel usage from the time we filled up or from when we last started it, while we are driving. But not both. I know they both are stored but it would be nice to see either on demand.
As above, they won't all show together, but it's easy to toggle between them, even when on the move.

4. If I buy another one, it would be nice if it had a small locking area or hidden pocket where I could store keys.
The stowage in this car could definitely be larger and more abundant, but like rat poison, you'll get used to it. All manufacturers are cost cutting, you'd probably have to pay more money and move upmarket to get a locking cubby. It you don't find it inconvenient, you could hide things in the spare wheel compartment in the boot.

5. Also for future models, have two (or more) USB ports which link to the infotainment system. So, I could have one for a USB stick and one for a phone.
Doesn't bother me, there's enough in this car to suit my needs, although a USB port beside the rear view mirror would be handy to plug in a dash cam.
6. See the issues above.

Cheers

Hope this is partially helpful :D
ashm

Post by ashm »

alan sh wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:42 pm 5. When on Android Auto, it takes up 2/3 of the screen. The other 1/3 just says “Android Auto”. Either expand the Android Auto bit to the whole screen or use that 1/3 space to display other stuff. [Maybe this should go in enhancements].
Someone may know more than me on this bit.. But from my understanding, there are 2 issues. The Android Auto feature didn't support (extra) widescreen displays. Which I understand will be fixed/is fixed on the later versions of Android Auto
And the car software itself needs to enable the right part of the screen to be used by Android Auto, and this may come in a future update if Hyundai decides to address this.

Also, I am sure I have seen videos, where you can change the small part of the screen with the Android Auto icon, to a clock or something else.. But I don't have my car yet, so not tried it.
Ordered: Ultimate Hybrid Shimmering Silver
Order date: 30th December 2021 (Dealer had on order since late October)
Original estimated pick-up date: 21st March 2022
Picked-up: 4th April 2022
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Thank you all for the responses. I'll have a play and see if I can find the digital speedo.

Alan
Alan

Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
mah006

Post by mah006 »

1. I need to be able to turn off the lane keeping assistant permanently. In my opinion, it is dangerous (happy to have a discussion about that). I have to turn it off every time I get in the car. It looks like you can turn it off in setup, but it turns itself back on (this may just be a bug and you are supposed to be able to turn if off permanently). You cannot its a safety feature in all new European sold cars

2. I get bongs when driving, but I have no idea what they mean. There should be a message appearing. I’ve managed to turn off a lot of them, but still I get them. Its probably the coasting bong as you approach roundabouts

4. Can we please have an option to turn off the 6 'bongs' every time I start the car? It is extremely annoying. Put your selt belt on before starting car

5. When on Android Auto, it takes up 2/3 of the screen. The other 1/3 just says “Android Auto”. Either expand the Android Auto bit to the whole screen or use that 1/3 space to display other stuff. [Maybe this should go in enhancements]. It can be done, go to the setup screen type split screen in the search box, you should see an option for android auto split screen, tick the box & the other 1/3 of the screen should have widgets like radio, hybrid etc
N Line S HEV Shadow Grey
old man

Post by old man »

Put your seat belt on before starting car
That works, excellent snippet - thankyou. :D
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

@mah006, Thank you for the ideas. I'll give them a go.
Alan