Auto gear buttons wrong order and other points

New to the Hyundai Tucson Forums? Introduce yourself here
Unarmedlight

Post by Unarmedlight »

Hi new member here of a tucson premium auto 230bp.

Really enjoying the car so far, however there are a few things which just don't make logical sense to me.

1) The 3 automatic gear buttons are in the wrong position for the sequence and motion. For example, drive is positioned towards the rear of the vehicle and reverse to positioned towards the front. My inclination is to push the button to the front of the car when going forward and the button to the back when going back!! I'm really having to think about it every time.

2) Admittedly I will hopefully not be going into the bonnet too often, however there is no gas strut to keep the bonnet up. I don't understand why such a cheap but useful item isn't included for a fairly heavy bonnet. Even my 10 year old Audi had one.

3) A little niggle when I open the drivers door and the inside metal on the door below the side compartments just doesn't look finished as the bolts look as though they are protruding. Again when looking at my old car it just doesn't look finished.

4) no postcode option for the sat nav (unless I haven't discovered it yet) or is this an added extra?

So I am loving the car and it's my best car I have had, it's just these things just frustrate me, anyone else picked up on these or other points?

SteveD

Post by SteveD »

I sort of agree with you but my Renault Kadjar with a straight-line forward-back gear lever is (from front to back) P-Park; R-Reverse; N-Neutral and D-Drive. Consequently, you pull the lever fully back to go forward. Is this not a classic setup?
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Yes, that's the way it's always been. I can remember trying to pull away in my first automatic-an Austin Princess 2ltr-by pushing the lever forwards from neutral. I surprised myself and probably gave the chap behind a fright!
ClassicPete

Post by ClassicPete »

1) Auto gearbox change patterns have been in the order of P-R-N-D with P at the front, since the year dot. So the R-N-D button configuration continues that theme. Probably easier for the manufacturer to continue following that rule than confuse time-served auto box users with a D-N-R pattern even if it is a logical setup!

2) A gas strut is significantly more expensive than a steel bar, and in truth to support a bonnet the size of the Tucson's would really need two, so it just comes down to cost saving.
2023 Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid 230 Amazon Grey/Moss Grey trim
1990 MG Maestro Turbo #436 of 505
1973 Semi-works Austin Allegro Rally Car
Tucson Ordered 9/8/22
Arrived Tilbury 21/12/22
Collected 27/1/23
Philr

Post by Philr »

There is a postcode search. Use the search function and input the postcode, ignore the options it coughs up as you type as it will give you the right postcode after you have pressed the search button.
You'll soon get used to the drive/neutral/reverse buttons I'm sure although I agree it doesn't seem right at first.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

For information, and apologies if you're already aware, but if you have bluelink you can actually search for addresses/postcodes and then send to the car so when you get in you accept the address. Also, have you tried the voice control for nav addresses? You simply press the button on the steering wheel and say 'find' .. and then the address. It doesn't always get it, but more often than not it works fine. I don't often use Android Auto/Apple car play (too lazy to plug the phone in) but you'll be aware that you have those options for nav also.

I was surprised it didn't have gas stuts for the bonnet cos it's a heavy piece of metal.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post