Brand new tuscon 15 days old wont open!

New to the Hyundai Tucson Forums? Introduce yourself here
Tingly

Post by Tingly »

Had new car for 15 days. Went to get in it today for second time, doors wont open with key fobs, or with app. Am guessing battery issue. Dealer said to ring aa. Gutted. Could it be the hybrid battery somehow? Could it be the dashcams that the dealer fitted? Am totally distressed.
Dealetshio is miles away. Cant believe i’m ringing the aa or as they called it ‘hyundai rescue?’ After 15 days! Only driven it once since collection.

Big S

Post by Big S »

Depending on how much charge was initially in the small battery under the rear seat when you last locked it up would define why its gone flat after 15 days. You say dealership you purchased from is miles away, so if you drove it home from there then battery should have been fairly well charged. When you first got it did you have doors/tailgate open a lot whilst you were familiarising yourself with it, as its best to have it in the ready to drive mode ie switched on whilst you are doing this. This will allow the traction battery to keep the small battery charged whilst you are doing the aforementioned. There is plenty of threads on here talking about battery issues. I am assuming you have the HEV version as you haven't told us what you have purchased. Is it possible that your dashcams are drawing power whilst your car is locked. Usually the HEV can cope with a 15 day locked up situation ie whilst you are on holiday etc. It may loose some dashboard settings but should have enough power to open it and start up upon your return.
Tingly

Post by Tingly »

Okay so yes its a hybrid. I drove it 100 miles from the dealership.
I then took it for a drive for about an hour the week after.
It has been standing for about 5 days.
I have been in the boot without it being switched on as i didnt realize that was an issue
The aa has been and got it started this morning
I have disconnected the dashcams in case.
I am so disappointed, I havent slept all night for worrying as spent my life savings on this.
It was to be my final car .
I am sick to the stomach and wish i’d never purchased it.
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

Tingly wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:06 am Okay so yes its a hybrid. I drove it 100 miles from the dealership.
I then took it for a drive for about an hour the week after.
It has been standing for about 5 days.
I have been in the boot without it being switched on as i didnt realize that was an issue
The aa has been and got it started this morning
I have disconnected the dashcams in case.
I am so disappointed, I havent slept all night for worrying as spent my life savings on this.
It was to be my final car .
I am sick to the stomach and wish i’d never purchased it.
It's a shame your experience so early is not what you were expecting. There are many people on this forum with the HEV version and I suspect most, if not all, may have experienced a reset issue at some point during ownership. I've had resets a few times (as documented in the car user manual), but I haven't had the issue that you have (full lock out) which seems more than a reset. I do recall an old thread were at least one person had a similar, if not the same issue as you.

If this is any help to you: I leave my car for weeks at a time plus during the summer didn't use it for 4 weeks and when I went back to it, it fired up without any intervention (it had reset though). So I guess what I'm trying to say is that your experience does not seem the norm.

It's never great when a new car 'plays up' but hopefully it can be resolved and you can get to enjoy the car.

In the meantime if it happens again:
I would try opening the car with the emergency key and if that is successful I would try pressing the 12V battery reset button to see if that would get the car started.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Tingley,

Don't be downhearted. The car is OK. You just have a crap dealer. As DDDD (above) said, there is a standard procedure to sort this and your dealer should have told you. Did he also tell you and set up the Bluelink app? If not, you should get him to sort that out.

The car has a very small 12v battery and it is not uncommon for it to get drained over a period of about a week if you haven't used it, but may have opened doors and/or the boot for a while. If your dashcam was wired in to a powered when locked point, then that will also drain it.

Also, you haven't done a lot of miles in it and it certainly benefits from being used every day or so, even if it's only 5-10 miles. In your case, you may not have given it enough time to get everything settled down.

Anyway, let us know what happens and have a browse around this forum to see what people think of it and stuff.

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
Tingly

Post by Tingly »

Thanks Alan and dotdotdot,

Yes you may have thought the dealer would have known about the reset, or at least asked the service department.
so not sure what steps to take next. The dealership is 100 miles away so thats no good.Theres a local dealership but I have covid at the moment.
The AA (who called themselves Hyundai Rescue) didnt know about the button, and couldnt say for sure what had drained the battery. It was my guess re the dashcams not theirs. So where should i go next and what should i do? Am frightened of missing any window of opportunity to reject,although I am guessing this wouldnt be possible? Any advice gratefully received. Thankyou
Big S

Post by Big S »

You should have no need to reject this car over the issue you have experienced. After the AA got it going did you drive it again or just lock it up.
I appreciate you have Covid and hope you get better soon. Hyundai recommend driving it for half an hour after this type of lockout to enable the small battery to get a charge from the main traction battery. The other option is to have it in the ready to drive mode and let the small battery get charged up for a similar time.. As you are not feeling well and its cold outside non of this may be possible. If you just locked it up after the AA visit then its liable to happen again. Whilst you have some time on your hands have a read through the manual and this will tell you the procedure of how to get in the car and utilise the big 12v battery reset button to start it up after a total battery failure, without calling the AA again.
Salesmen are only interested in selling you a car and some of them have no idea about all its functions or any interest in showing you them. This is a great car which I am sure you will come to enjoy as you get used to everything on it and how everything operates. Don't worry over it just concentrate on getting over Covid for now and feeling better.
Tingly

Post by Tingly »

Big S. thankyou for the advice. I did drive it round for 40 mins then crawled into bed so hopefully itll be ok. Thank heavens for good and knowledgeable people on here who have started to ease my anxiety just a little.
Al94

Post by Al94 »

My HEV is 28 months old and have never had a battery lockout issue despite being left up to 3 weeks the odd time. Are your dashcams hardwired in and potentially running down the battery? If so I recommend changing their settings
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Ultimate 5dr 2WD Auto
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

Tingly wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:02 pm Thank heavens for good and knowledgeable people on here who have started to ease my anxiety just a little.
Tingly, I spotted the word ‘Covid’ in the response from ‘Big S’ and you have my sympathy as I contracted the virus last Thursday, at least, that’s when the symptoms manifested themselves. although I was fully jabbed and had a recent booster along with the flu jab.

A test on Friday confirmed the diagnosis and I have spent all weekend in isolation, tucked up in bed most of the time with zero appetite and frequent consumption of painkillers for the muscle aches.

Although I have only had my Tucson for 6 months, at my age it will almost certainly be my last car so I read with dread some of the complaints about a flat battery and the need to call Hyundai Rescue.

Having said that, I’m fairly confident (he said bravely!) that if I ever experience the problem, I will manage to remedy it without assistance. Among the many pieces of good advice offered up by others, the issue of dashcam power usage seems the likeliest reason for drawing power away from the little 12v battery. That being the case, the best adjustment you can make is to stop the 'parking mode’ recording facility as, even with it set to a medium level of sensitivity, it can be power-consuming, depending on where the car is parked. In my case, I can have as many as 20 alerts overnight as I have to street park on a bus route also used frequently by HGVs. Ok, there’s the risk that your car may be damaged by some hit-and-run merchant and you haven’t captured it on video.

It seems to me that just the rumble/noise of heavy vehicles passing in close proximity to my parked car is sufficient to wake up the dashcam.
Curiously, for some reason I haven’t unearthed yet, a short foray into SPORT mode seems to allow greater charge into the 12v battery - the reading on the little scale goes up towards the max charge while never varying far from the 50% mark while in ECO mode.

Get well soon and enjoy the car for what it is. A read of the owner’s manual may prove profitable should you ever experience a lock-out. The methodology is pretty simple.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post