Insurance premiums

Suggestions & Help using the Hyundai Tucson Forums
old man

Post by old man »

KeithB1 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:50 am Good morning all. Last year my premiums were £203 for the Jag and £320 for the Tucson. This year £218 and £414, that's for me and the wife on the Jag and both of us plus our daughter om the Tucson. The only thing that's changed is we're all a year older73,72 and 40 respectively. I've actually just sold the Jag so my multi car discount disappeared and the Tucson went up £2! I've been with LV for several years so we weren't new customers last year. When I queried this year's rise I was just told it was down to the underwriters and there was nothing LV could do. I got some more quotes from the comparison sites yesterday and the only cheaper quotes were from outfits I'd never heard of. I'm going to try ringing some other comps over the next few days but don't hold out much hope.
That's quite a bit more than the £245 I paid in Feb and the £296 I was quoted on Compare the Market yesterday. I forgot to mention that my wife is also a named driver on my policy, but I don't have a daughter on it, so there's one differential. There must be other difference as well e.g. have you or anyone else made a claim recently, live in a city etc etc ?
It would seem to be a given that prices are rising and if you want to stay with a better known company, you're going to have to pay for it. I would be inclined to do a search on a comparison site and leave your daughter off and see what difference that makes.
If your endeavour is to save money, then do more digging. Some of the unknown names you see are offshoots of larger companies and some manage cheaper quotes because almost everything is done online and with no paper involved. The only time you can get to speak to a person is when making a claim. This doesn't suit everyone I know, but my wife got a good price from Aviva this way and even my Lloyds (LV) is managed online, although I can get to contact a human (I use the term loosely !) if I need to.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto

KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

I suspect that's what I'll end up doing-annoying isn't it. They're all bl**dy crooks!

Old man, yes I think my daughter is the difference but she hasn't had a claim on her own insurance in the last 12 months, so no reason as far as I can see for the 30% increase. I'll put some more time into it-renewal due on 28th, but I'm not optimistic.

Thanks for the replies all.
Philr

Post by Philr »

Car insurance is a black art run by wizards and witches and makes no logical sense most of the time so FWIW
we paid £231 with LV this month - 10,000 miles, no points,non of the add-ons and a slightly higher excess. Car is insured by Mrs Phil as she drives it the most with me as a named driver.
1st full year we've insured it but I have a 16 year old 2l RAV4 which is £190
Since insurance companies have had to change their business model somewhat because they are no longer allowed to give cheap deals for new customers it was probably inevitable
that there would be some sort of price hike along with more expensive repairs, more powerful and apparently therefore greater risk vehicles and in these times I'd guess fraud will be
on the increase as well.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
terryp

Post by terryp »

Philr wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:55 am Car insurance is a black art run by wizards and witches and makes no logical sense most of the time so FWIW
Don't forget that Post Code also comes into the calculation. If you're unlucky enough to live in an area where there are more claims than average, you will pay a penalty.
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

No doubt you're right, Philr, but I haven't noticed anything's changed much in the last 40 years we've lived here. Perhaps I should just make up a post code-there couldn't possibly be a crime wave/multiple weekly pile-ups in somewhwere that doesn't exist!
Mar10

Post by Mar10 »

I've just had a similar experience with insurance for the Tucson. Last year (different car but similar insurance group) quote was £260. This year, with no changes other than the car, £480!!

After a sharp intake of breath I did a quick comparison quote and found a bunch for £260. It seems loyalty counts for nothing these days!!
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

I thought a law has passed that your current insurance company has to give the same price as if you where going ton them for the first time.
mind you £260 is a good price
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Hello folks. In the end I decided to take my daughter off the policy, whicxh reduced LV's quote to £260 and I went with that. Still wondering why they increased the premium with my daughter on it by so much when nothing had chamged.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post