Bean lights - ECE regulation driving abroad

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
Charlotte72

Post by Charlotte72 »

Good afternoon all,

I'm Charlotte and I have just joined this forum. I bought a left-hand drive 2022 Tucson hybrid and started to import it to the UK.
I was assured by the Hyundai customer service rep that Tucson's headlamps are designed not to dazzle opposite drivers, ECE certified and there is no need to change them in a country with opposite traffic direction. This is also stated on the user manual, on pages 9-58.

Unfortunately, that's not true (at least for the high bean as the right one only is slightly above the line) and I'm told they don't pass MOT tests.
The car is brand new, full hybrid 230 cv, 4WD and on top of the line, so it is all inclusive.

Is there anyone who can help me to pass the MOT? I also visited a Hyundai garage and they are sending a case up as they have no idea how to fix it.

Thanks
Charlotte

alan sh

Post by alan sh »

What happens if you lower them manually?

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
roadster

Post by roadster »

High beam should produce a flat light pattern but if it is too high there is a manual adjustment shown in the manual and described on page 5-62 in my printed version. Dip beam should be biased to the left and unfortunately if page 9-54 of the UK manual is correct the beam is profiled for right hand drive so a left hand drive car will almost certainly not comply.
Tucson PHEV Premium
old man

Post by old man »

What roadster stated above makes absolute sense and confirms my own thinking.
I have found in the past, that although all vehicles coming out of a factory look the same to the untrained eye, there can be many differences under the skin when the cars are destined for different markets.
Some of those differences can be adjusted with a change to the ECU via a computer and others are built in an cannot be changed. I had a Kia a while back , on which the suspension settings could be altered via a computer, but whether similar can be done with headlight adjustment I don't know, but it could be an avenue worth exploring. Personally I'm doubtful because I think this would involve electric motors for the mechanical adjustment.
In the past there would a mechanical adjustment for headlight alignment under the bonnet somewhere, but in these days of LEDs and electronics, maybe mechanical adjustment is no longer built in.
I do wonder though, if your car needed a replacement headlight unit because it was faulty or your car had been involved in an accident, how would any finite adjustment be made after refitting ?
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

I can lower the headlights from a rotator under the dash. Does yours have this feature?
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
Charlotte72

Post by Charlotte72 »

Dear all,
I didn't reply sooner as I was expecting a call from a local Hyundai dealer/garage.
They had to write up to get technical advice as they didn't know how to fix the issue.
Their reply was negative. On the 2022 Hybrid Tucson headlamps cannot be adjusted nor they are ECE compliant.
I'm flabbergasted as I asked Hyundai customer service and I read the manual before buying the car. It is unclear if this is a fault on my car or a standard feature across the board.
That said, the manual is wrong/misleading, and I've been asked to pay over 1k pounds to change the right bulbs, with no guarantees it will fix the problem, hence passing the MOT test.
Bear in mind the car is equipped with the automatic high beam switch-off system.

Do you have any other solutions to explore? Do you know any VAT/MOT garage in London that can help me out?

Thanks
Charlotte
roadster

Post by roadster »

You will find full details of MOT requirements here
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspect ... -equipment.

It is possible that suitable masking to produce a flat beam of the correct height is acceptable for the test but this might not necessarily make it acceptable for permanent UK registration. From the MOT perspective it would also be possible to disconnect the built in dipped beam and replace it with independent lights of the correct beam pattern and position, but I doubt that this is practical at a significantly lower cost than replacing the headlamps completely. When you refer to bulbs being changed I very much doubt that this would work because from looking at the internal reflectors on my car they have complex geometry which probably controls the beam pattern. You can check the beam pattern of your car by pointing it at a flat wall and observing the cut off line. If it is a flat horizontal line it could still be compliant with UK law by setting the headlamps at the correct height but if it has a raised ramp on the right hand side it will certainly fail.

Under UK law you would be able to reject the car but I assume you purchased it from a source outside the UK. This leaves your only reasonable option as buying a pair of UK spec. headlamp units, either at a full price going into four figures or waiting for a suitable second hand set from a UK car written off through rear end damage. If you are certain that you received incorrect advice from a Hyundai representative you might try asking them for a heavily discounted pair of headlamps.
Tucson PHEV Premium

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post