Sat Nav query

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
CentralSpy

Post by CentralSpy »

Hi all

Very new Tucson owner and still very much getting to grip with the car. I wanted to raise a query around the SatNav which seems to behave very differently from my previous Sportage.

Landmarks/POI seem to frequently displayed strangely or downright incorrectly. As some examples, our local church is marked up about 1 miles from where it actually is. Our nearest supermarket (which is a huge Sainsburys) is marked up as Argos , which is a tiny part of that store.

I brought the car back to the dealership and they updated the software, took it for a test drive but acknowledged how odd it was appearing to label things. They suggested I call Hyundai as there was nothing they could do.

Anyone else experienced this? Is it an issue or just the inconsistencies in the SatNav?

Any help most welcome, it’s making me rather mad!

old man

Post by old man »

Haven't yet owned a car with a built in sat nav that works perfectly and to my knowledge, the mapping and software is supplied by a third party. I don't know how that third party collates their information, but if e.g. when that third party is updating the mapping to a more up to date version and the information they have to hand is telling them there's an Argos near you, then that's what you'll get in your mapping.
The church I can't explain, but as it's not Hyundai who are manufacturing the mapping, they won't be able to do anything about it until the next update comes out. Even then, if nobody has pointed out these mistakes, then they probably won't get fixed in the update.

This isn't helping you though and as I see it, your dealer is passing the buck. You bought the car from them and therefore your redress is with them and if they can't fix a problem, then they should contact Hyundai on your behalf. Unfortunately dealers are not created equal - some are good and some aren't.
It could be that you have a rogue unit installed in your car and to find out if that's the case, go back to your dealer and ask to sit in another car and see if the sat nav in that car lists an Argos instead of a Sainsbury and see if the church is where it should be. If it reads correctly in the other car then you might need a new head unit in your car.
Also, what version has your dealer installed and are you aware you can do an update yourself to make sure you have the latest software and mapping ?
Last edited by old man on Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Deleted User 487

Post by Deleted User 487 »

I know it’s not a solution, but have you tried Car Play, or Android Auto?

Google Maps is far superior than any in car Nav (BMW, Toyota) that I’ve experienced before.
roadster

Post by roadster »

If you can use Apple Carplay there is a wide choice of map/navigation programs. I have tried several and settled on Mapfactor Navigation using open source map data. There is also the option to use Garmin maps for a relatively small fee. Waze is a favourite for many people but it requires a permanent data connection via your phone and I prefer maps to be stored locally. "Here We Go" is another alternative which is actually used as the OEM system by some manufacturers.

Postscript:
I have to qualify the above because on a recent trip Carplay and Mapfactor became unreliable with Carplay randomly disconnecting and if I tried to use route navigation the radio turned on every time any voice instruction were generated. Maybe I made a mistake allowing the latest phone update!
Last edited by roadster on Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tucson PHEV Premium
terryp

Post by terryp »

Here's another little "quirk" for the Sat Nav.
When driving on an "A" class road with Sat Nav operating, each time I approached a layby the Sat Nav voice told me to "go straight ahead". As the road contained laybys every couple of miles this became very irritating. It even gave me the same warning if the layby was on the other side of the road.
I can't see anything in the Sat Nav settings to cure this-unless someone has had the same problem and found an answer?
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
Johnny00

Post by Johnny00 »

I have the same annoying "Drive straight ahead" when approaching lay byes on A roads

Did anyone come up with a way of stopping it?
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

Turn off the sound?
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
daibill

Post by daibill »

I've given up with the built in sat nav. It's telling me to stay right or left on a straight road and has told me to take the wrong exit on a roundabout or take wrong junction far to many times that's if it gives the directions in time... Android auto all the way for me..
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

I have just got WAZE now I did have google maps

As there is a setting in WAZE that you can see your speed that you are travelling at and what the speed you should be going on the road, on the top left hand side
there is also a setting if you go over by 5 MPH is make a noise. this is brilliant in Wales

The Hyundai map will not have the speed updated until spring 2024 asper Customer services, As the icon on the dash is all over the place.
I have tested the WAZE speed icon and it's spot on, which is great if you don't know what speed you should be doing as it's a nightmare in Wales at the moment.
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
Unimatrix

Post by Unimatrix »

I've been using Waze now for about 10 years. Probably would not use any other Sat Nav unless it's recommended by someone.
We had some roadworks on the motorway near me and the map was updated the day they started,
Its also a community sat nav so others can inform you of accidents\delays etc etc.....
2022 Tucson Ultimate Petrol

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post