Lane keeping assistance - can it be turned off permanently?

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

I hate the lane keeping assistant. I have tried turning it off in the Setup area but each time I restart the car, it comes back on. I have to turn it off by long pressing the button on the steering wheel.

Can anyone else confirm that the Setup doesn't work to turn it off forever? My car is a 2022 Ultimate model.

Thanks

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).

old man

Post by old man »

It cannot be turned off permanently.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
stojced

Post by stojced »

I read somewhere that if you press and hold for 3 second the line assist button on the steering wheel it will be disabled and will stay even after restart. Same for enabling it again. I still don't have the car to test, maybe someone can test and report back if it is true.
mah006

Post by mah006 »

stojced wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:27 pm I read somewhere that if you press and hold for 3 second the line assist button on the steering wheel it will be disabled and will stay even after restart. Same for enabling it again. I still don't have the car to test, maybe someone can test and report back if it is true.
Not true sorry :(
you can turn it off by holding the steering wheel symbol for 3 seconds but it resets to on when you restart the ignition
N Line S HEV Shadow Grey
roadster

Post by roadster »

This is unfortunately a feature of the european spec. cars. American spec. allows permanent setting. It is ironic that a feature locked down to improve safety actually makes it more dangerous. The steering suddenly deciding to point you into a hedge or towards oncoming traffic on a country lane is most disconcerting.
Tucson PHEV Premium
NLineS

Post by NLineS »

roadster wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:08 am This is unfortunately a feature of the european spec. cars. American spec. allows permanent setting. It is ironic that a feature locked down to improve safety actually makes it more dangerous. The steering suddenly deciding to point you into a hedge or towards oncoming traffic on a country lane is most disconcerting.
If USA spec cars can permanently turn this off then I'm sure a UK spec car could do the same if you know how to "code it out" via some sort of fancy software connected to the car?
old man

Post by old man »

If USA spec cars can permanently turn this off then I'm sure a UK spec car could do the same if you know how to "code it out" via some sort of fancy software connected to the car?
I don't think so nowadays. VAG group cars are now being programmed to prevent owners from altering features and I believe other manufacturers are following/have followed suit.
The days of plugging in an OBD11 or a VCDS to alter programming are over. Also, beware the possible implications where you might have found a tech wizard to turn off a safety feature in the car and then you become involved in an accident which that feature might have prevented.
On a personal level, I think it's a good idea overall that owners now cannot alter ECU programming. I dread the thought of buying a used car that had been owned by someone who'd altered the original programming.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
roadster

Post by roadster »

NLineS wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:43 am
roadster wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:08 am This is unfortunately a feature of the european spec. cars. American spec. allows permanent setting. It is ironic that a feature locked down to improve safety actually makes it more dangerous. The steering suddenly deciding to point you into a hedge or towards oncoming traffic on a country lane is most disconcerting.
The xda-developers forum does have some activity on finding a way in to the engineering mode for the software and if an alternative regional configuration could be selected it might be possible to change this behaviour without actually hacking the software as such. I will certainly keep an eye on it. One further complication is that the North American spec cars use an Android based embedded operating system whereas ours use an independent OS based on Linux but without using the Google code.
Tucson PHEV Premium
_Itsjustlewis

Post by _Itsjustlewis »

Yes I agree on the lane assist, I can't stand it. Had my Premium for a week now and it's frustrating having to remember to switch it off in the settings menu each time.

Fingers crossed for a software update on that front. I find it bizarre that you can create driver profiles but it won't store these kind of settings.
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

Hi my Tiguan I can turn things like lane assist off and stay off, and if you could not I could tweak it a little with OBDEleven.
BUT there are new legislation come in with all new cars that they cannot be turned off permanently.

I dont think in my opinion that they will be doing it in a software update, lets hope I am wrong.
so it might be first thing after starting car. to turning it off temporally with the steering wheel button.

There is a new law on all European cars coming in later this year that the car will be restricted to the speed limit of the road
by the front camera by the road signs.
this option is on some cars now but after it comes in you wont be able to turn it off.

I don't know how that will work out and would take out the enjoyment of any car or machine.

Jools
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post