Lane keeping assistance - can it be turned off permanently?

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
jasm

Post by jasm »

There's a button on the steering wheel to deactivate by pressing for 3 seconds...
Hyundai Tucson 2021 HEV 8-)

rwhitts

Post by rwhitts »

Bit of an old thread I know but arrived here after a search. Kinda horrified it is not possible to disable at startup. I use it a lot as it really helps on roads where I want it - but when not using it but forgetting to switch it off (by holding button for a while) there are a number of road sections near me that confuse the car and I find myself veering in to the opposite lane, I drive for a living so am no lightweight driver but it still catches me out. Has there been any further news on this?
WRF60

Post by WRF60 »

Well after yesterday I will be turning it off every time I go on a dual carriageway or motorway. Had the car 2 weeks and this weekend was its first motorway run , I went to move lanes to pull into services , thought the person in the inside lane was letting me in so moved over but the car thought otherwise - emergency brake and moved me back into middle lane - pretty scary experience , been driving almost 50 years and accident free. I like the blind spot warning but do not want the car slamming brakes on and changing lanes for me..
Ultimate Self Charging Hybrid (230ps) in Shimmering Silver , took delivery 13th March 2023.
Philr

Post by Philr »

Did you indicate before trying to change lanes?
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
XADE

Post by XADE »

Philr wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:11 am Did you indicate before trying to change lanes?
Sounds like a no, as I thought the system was instantly deactivated if you indicate. I've never heard of the emergency brake moving your steering wheel either.

It's unfortunate in a way being so used to turning these things off, and I have had the odd lane confusion.

But, it's a safety feature and takes 2 seconds to turn off while you're setting off. The possible alternative is that people forget to turn it back on, drift lanes when incapacitated due to a sudden illness and cause a devasting accident. I know which I would rather put up with.
2022 Ultimate - Phantom Black
Berty

Post by Berty »

I did a mixture of motorway and non motorway driving yesterday(have car just over 2 weeks). 4 hours in the car altogether and yes the lane assist did become a mild nuisance. At one stage on a near empty motorway I was switching lanes(Express lane in Toll Plaza) and didn't indicate and nobody anywhere near me, car didn't like it but didn't become aggresive about it. I do note that I can change this to a warning in the car settings rather than assistance. Instead of fighting the steering wheel it would otherwise just beep. I have considered this in the future but will take more time to allow myself used to the safety feature first.

On some B roads(R roads in Ireland) the amount of times I would end up crossing a white lane because of really terrible roads the car was very angry about it. In this case I did hold down the button and turn it off for that section. Overall I'm mixed feelings about it because one the one hand it will keep me safe IF I wasn't paying attention but in other cases it is annoying.
Based in Ireland :mrgreen:
2023 Tucson Executive Plus PHEV
old man

Post by old man »

First two things I do every trip after turning on the ignition are, turn off Lane Assist and turn on Auto Hold.
Lane Assist tried to take me into a ditch on a single narrow lane in France last year.
Call me old school, but I take my driving seriously and I really don't like most of the electronic aids that try to do what I'm still perfectly capable of myself.
Reversing camera is bloody handy though :D
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Philr

Post by Philr »

old man wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:49 am
Reversing camera is bloody handy though :D
I'll bet that start button is a blessing rather than having to get a friggin' great handle out of the boot, stick it in the front and then do your back in turning the engine over to start it :lol:
Phil

2022 Premium HEV
old man

Post by old man »

get a friggin' great handle out of the boot
Getting on as I am and I think my total car tally is in the mid forties, I've never had to start a car of my own using a starting handle. ;)
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
Philr

Post by Philr »

old man wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:11 pm
get a friggin' great handle out of the boot
Getting on as I am and I think my total car tally is in the mid forties, I've never had to start a car of my own using a starting handle. ;)
You haven't lived as it's something everyone should try even if it's just once. I had an Austin 7 that I was restoring and the battery was U/S so the handle came in really handy - so to speak :-)
Phil

2022 Premium HEV

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post