New Tucson GPF light on

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
jjm98765@yahoo.co.uk

Post by jjm98765@yahoo.co.uk »

Hi everyone i have a new tucson 21 plate its done 3500 miles its a 1.6 T-GDI.
Yesterday the GPF light came on, now i done what it says in the manual which was drive it for 30mins over 50mph in a gear above 3rd.
this hasnt put the light out. Have any of you had this light come on and what did you do to put the light out.
Your Help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
John

SteveiT

Post by SteveiT »

Hi John
I have just had the same problem with my 21 plate T-GDi at 4600 miles. Did you get yours sorted?
Regards
Steve
Twotone 1234

Post by Twotone 1234 »

Hi. Mines done 2033miles and GPF light on. Done exactly the same as what it says in the book. N didnt work???
Twotone 1234

Post by Twotone 1234 »

Hi guys 4th gear 4000rpm off throttle for few seconds then back on again...... keep going on n off.........it cleared my light :D :D
SteveiT

Post by SteveiT »

Hi. Tried all speeds and gears with no luck. Booked it in at the dealer who fixed it then wanted a load of dosh as Hyundai say it is something the owner has to do as part of the driving routine. So not covered under warranty unless there is a faulty component. So I've now gotta thrash my engine every few thousand miles or so. I am used to particulate systems needing attention at 70,000 miles or so but not at this mileage. My fourth Tucson and I am losing confidence with this one.
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Hi. Is this something that might affect a PHEV or does it just affect the petrol only cars?
old man

Post by old man »

It's a Gasoline Particulate Filter, so if you have a petrol engine, which a PHEV does, logic dictates it can affect those too.
However, if you do a lot of electric only mileage, then it's going to take longer to affect a PHEV.
I was told that GPFs would be much less prone to clogging than a DPFs, so I'm very surprised that owners are getting problems so early in the cars life.
My petrol Skoda that had a GPF gave no problems and that was used mainly for short journeys due to Covid.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Just rung the dealer where I bought my car-the service dept says the PHEVs do have a GPF, which I wasn't aware of, so I'm going to make sure the car gets a decent run in hybrid mode at least once a month to clear it. It could actually be more of a problem for the PHEVs because unless you select hybrid mode the revs don't exceed 1500 and for most of the time the engine will only be doing 1100 rpm. Isn't technology wonderful!!
SteveiT

Post by SteveiT »

All petrol engines since 2019 have to have a GPF to meet Euro emissions. It is prone to clogging quicker than a diesel particulate filter due to the different combustion characteristics of the fuel. Apparently people with other brands also have problems. Speaking to a friend who has a Ford, his light came on and he, like me, didn't know there was a driving routine you have to do from time to time to keep it clean. Methinks they don't tell you this when you buy so as not to put folks off. MInes fixed at the mo but for how long?
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

It sounds like it's not a question of a faulty component-more like the system just doesn't work as it's intended to i.e. the system isn't fit for purpose. I think this could turn out to be quite a problem for PHEVs because in normal use they'll rarely get sustained driving over 1500rpm. Even if you put mine in hybrid mode it will revert to EV from time to time. Does that terminate the regeneration? the idiots who came up with the idea of particulate filters first put diesels off limits for most folks who just potter round in them and now they're doing the same with petrol engined cars. Do they want us all going round in a horse drawn cart?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post