New Tucson GPF light on

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
SteveiT

Post by SteveiT »

Hi
Somebody else on here did the deceleration thing and it worked for him. Deceleration from say 4000 revs will in theory force hot oxygen down the exhaust and burn off the soot without depositing any more. Just a shame this technique is not in the book, and as I said previously I don't think owners are told about this on purchase. I tried Super Unleaded E5 and it made a bit of difference to the mpg but not to the performance. Having said that, my stop-start was giving a delay on restarting and the mpg was plummeting, which is apparently a symptom of the gpf blocking up. Might try it again. The maths suggest that if you can get a suitable increase in mpg it might be cheaper than using E10 with it's higher consumption.
Regards
Steve

an2ru

Post by an2ru »

Tas, ka dīleri neinformē klientu par potenciālo problēmu ar GPF ir jāuzskata par apzinātu krāpšanu. Ja es būtu zinājis ,ka dotajam Tucson modelim ir ierobežota ekspluatācijas vide, es to nebūtu pircis.
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

an2ru wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:51 pm Tas, ka dīleri neinformē klientu par potenciālo problēmu ar GPF ir jāuzskata par apzinātu krāpšanu. Ja es būtu zinājis ,ka dotajam Tucson modelim ir ierobežota ekspluatācijas vide, es to nebūtu pircis.
The fact that dealers do not inform the customer about a potential problem with GPF should be considered as intentional fraud. If I had known that this Tucson model had a limited operating environment, I wouldn't have bought it.

For the people that don't speak Latvian

Jools :D
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
Lollipop

Post by Lollipop »

hi
I have posted about the same issue yesterday
I have the same problem with my tucson 1.6 petrol manual Inew shape) I bought the car from new last March it had only done 650miles and the warning light came on, it has been back to the dealer 4 times since for a forced regeneration, I have tried all the advice given to carryout a system regeneration but nothing works to remove the warning light it has to go back to the dealer, the dealership have contacted Hyundai and they said that their tech department is aware of the problem but at the moment there is no fix, the car is clearly unsuitable for basic urban driving
old man

Post by old man »

Further to this and the idea that deceleration may help to keep the GPF clean, how will that work with a hybrid that switches to electric power when the throttle is released ?
Is there any way to keep the engine running when decelerating ?
I wondered if switching to Sport mode or using the flappy paddles to change gear might do this, but it never occurred to me to try it when I was out last.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

Really good questions, is this problem only with the 1.6 T-GDI stand alone engine or does this problem also happen with the hybrid and the plug in models.
As I can see on the net the kia cars with the same engine having the same problems, but I cannot see it with the hybrid or plug in set up?

Are anybody on here with the hybrid or plug in having the same problems?
Jools
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
old man

Post by old man »

Are anybody on here with the hybrid or plug in having the same problems?
I was wondering the same myself.

Anyway, I have further news having just spoken to the head tech at my dealer who said they have had customers with this problem.
Hyundai have acknowledged that there is a problem with the ECU software and they will be issuing an update to fix it - no date given.
He also said that deceleration is not the way to keep a GPF clean, but blast at high revs or a longish hot run on the motorway (like with a DPF) is the way to go.
The car will still be driveable if the GPF light comes on and won't go into limp mode. Take the car to your dealer to have them clear the light.

There is no way to make the engine keep running on deceleration, the car will always do what' it was programmed to do.
Tucson N Line S 2WD Hybrid Auto
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

We haven't had this problem with our plug-in which has done just over 3000 miles now. It's mainly used for 4-5 mile journeys with some 1-2 and very rarely a journey over 10 miles. I was concerned about the GPF when I read the first post on here about it, but so far, so good for us. For what it's worth I never use supermarket petrol in the Tuscon or supermarket diesel in my Jaguar XF 3ltr, in which the DPF has never been a problem either.
xtrailman

Post by xtrailman »

I've had 4 cars with a DPF and never had any issue using mainly supermarket fuel, probably 98%.

And do a lot of short journeys.
TomH

Post by TomH »

Is anyone having problems with the particulate filter light on the new Tuscon Tgdi 1.6 petrol , I’ve had mine come on twice in eight weeks . The dealer said I was not doing enough mileage and if it happens again they will charge me . They don’t mention this when they sell u it.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post