Winter is coming and getting dark

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
NoTwOld

Post by NoTwOld »

I have noticed as the weather has got colder and more electrical items are used like heated seats, steering wheel, lights etc etc that the fuel consumption has dropped only slightly at present and not quite as often on EV, I wonder how things will develop as we get deeper into the colder months.

On my last car it had lots of outside items like 360 camera, collision avoidance, parking sensors etc, but when it snowed they didn't work very well even if I cleared the snow or ice, only time will tell how the Tucson will fair under same conditions.

I have used the adaptive cruise many times and it has worked very well but never at night, but the other day I was driving late evening on a 3 lane major road put on adaptive cruise and it didn't seem to have the same feel about it as in day light it was more twitchy as if it couldn't read the road as well in the dark as during day light.

KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

I've noticed with my plug-in hybrid that although it starts on EV it quickly-say 200 yds- switches to the petrol engine now and,depending on the outside temp and how long the car has been left since it was used last, can take a couple of miles to switch back to EV. This is going to affect my fuel costs quite significantly over the next few months I think. I've also noticed that the EV range can reduce even when the car is running on the engine. Is anyone else finding this to be so? I assume its because of various electrical bits deriving power from the main battery rather than the 12v/alternator. Is this right?
NoTwOld

Post by NoTwOld »

Yesterday when I went out in the car it was rather frosty and after driving a few miles a warning sign came up on the dash saying something like
"FRONT SAFTEY DEVICES IN OPERATIVE"
keeping my eyes on the road I wasn't able to take in everything it said, but about 3 different items around the dash started flashing one I know was the front braking device so can only assume they were frozen over so I expect to see this sign more often going deeper into winter.
I wonder how things will be when we have totally driverless cars unless the sun shines all the time.