Steering wheel twitching

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
CJJ

Post by CJJ »

Hi , as anyone experienced their vehicle steering twitching slightly , causing the vehicle to veer slightly , as if trying to correct itself when not required.

KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

Is this the lane assist trying to keep you on the straight and narrow? I had a similar experience on the test drive and was told that was what it was. I think you can switch it off on the steering wheel. Best have a look in the handbook.
CJJ

Post by CJJ »

Thanks for your reply, I thought that might be the case but the LFA has been switched off when it occurs, so I doubt it, probably best I speak to the dealer, its very unnerving.
CJJ

Post by CJJ »

Update.
Spoke to the salesman at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle , it appears the LFA is the default when you turn the engine on, to switch it off you have to hold the LFA button on the steering wheel down for 3 seconds and that turns the LFA off.
I am unable to find any reference to this in the manual , but it does work, also it was the LFA causing the steering to twitch but I assumed as the green steering wheel light in the instrument cluster was absent it wasn’t activated, so hopefully that clears my enquiry up.
eric56

Post by eric56 »

I had that problem with my 2018 plate tucson. I have not experinced it yet on my 71 plate
Big S

Post by Big S »

CJJ wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:59 pm Update.
Spoke to the salesman at the dealership where I purchased the vehicle , it appears the LFA is the default when you turn the engine on, to switch it off you have to hold the LFA button on the steering wheel down for 3 seconds and that turns the LFA off.
I am unable to find any reference to this in the manual , but it does work, also it was the LFA causing the steering to twitch but I assumed as the green steering wheel light in the instrument cluster was absent it wasn’t activated, so hopefully that clears my enquiry up.
To read up on LFA its in the manual under section 07 pages 99 to102 as Cj's earlier post mentions this is the green steering light indicated on the screen in front of the steering wheel. You will also see 2 straight lines either side of the green steering wheel light which is LKA. ( Lane Keep Assist ), See section 07 pages 29 to 35. to read up on this.
Both these functions, if lit will shake the steering wheel under different circumstances, for instance if you don't indicate when you are about to change lane with LKA on, the steering wheel warns you, you are coming out of lane because it thinks you may not be paying attention or worst still nodded off.
As Cj has said by pressing the steering wheel button for 3 seconds or more both these functions will go out, and YES they will be live again when you next start the car.
The Manual mentions holding the button down to turn LKA off which will also turn off LFA indicated on page 07-30 but doesn't mention for 3 seconds so to know they are off you have to look at the screen whilst doing it.
LFA can be turned off on its own by just pressing the button once.
Just to complicate things further, by going into the settings screen, then scroll up to Lane assist you can set it to shake the wheel and bleep to warn you or just have the bleeps on only, or turn it off completely.
Personally this is a pain in the backside each time you start the car after all you only want to go out for a drive.
Switching this version of Hyundai on and watching the dash board do its thing, then setting your preferences feels like you are going through the starting procedure for a rocket launch. :D :D
Are they making cars too complicated to operate I'll let you decide but its all small steps towards Autonomous driving cars.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post