Dash cam wiring

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
Scotsman

Post by Scotsman »

I ordered a new Tucson PhEV Ultimate. Asked about dash cam, dealership don't supply or fit one and also said if 3rd party hardwired it would invalidate warranty as they have had problems with 3rd party wired dash cams throwing up faults with cars electronics and wiring. Poor show. I really don't want wires hanging all over the place.

Tejstar

Post by Tejstar »

Is that really true that hardwiring a 3rd party dash cam will invalidate warranty? I was thinking of getting a dual dashcam fitted for me.
KeithB1

Post by KeithB1 »

I think you need to contact Hyundai to get an authoritative statent. When we bought our Ultimate in Septemberthe salesman said they could fit a Hyundai approved dashcam but I would get it done cheaper at Halfords. No mention of invalidating the warranty. We haven't had it done yet but it's still something being considered, so we'd be interested to hear what Hyundai say.
misterbuzby

Post by misterbuzby »

My insurance company insists on front and rear dashcams :-(

Am 'still' awaiting my new Tucson though :-(
bm8691

Post by bm8691 »

This was posted on Reddit a while ago if anyone on this thread might find it useful. How they did it with pictures. Should I set this as NSFW as it involves a little cutting of the trim 😬
[
Picked up 12th Nov 2021: Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid 230ps Sunset Red 8-)
AZ2021

Post by AZ2021 »

Has anyone made use of the 12v in the boot for a rear facing dash cam? I have two separate cams, apposed to a linked front and rear, and want to see what others have done with the 12v cabling and placement.
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid, with tech pack.
AnnE13

Post by AnnE13 »

We will also be running tow independent cameras……when we get the car. I intend to use the rear 12 v which should save a lot of hassle trying to run wires.
chrisdobb

Post by chrisdobb »

I have installed Nextbase dash cam, front & rear cameras, into Ultimate hybrid using the boot cigar lighter outlet.
There is no disturbance to the cars original wiring so cannot influence the warranty situation.
Although this does not operate in parking mode I have thought about utilising an auxiliary backup 12v battery to give me parking cover.
There is no way I would hard wire such a camera; this is going to give manufacturer a way out should there be any problem with the car’s electrics.
AZ2021

Post by AZ2021 »

chrisdobb wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:18 am I have installed Nextbase dash cam, front & rear cameras, into Ultimate hybrid using the boot cigar lighter outlet.
There is no disturbance to the cars original wiring so cannot influence the warranty situation.
Although this does not operate in parking mode I have thought about utilising an auxiliary backup 12v battery to give me parking cover.
There is no way I would hard wire such a camera; this is going to give manufacturer a way out should there be any problem with the car’s electrics.
Cool, what have you done with the cable, just tucked it away? Got any pics of the boot setup?
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid, with tech pack.
Rouky

Post by Rouky »

chrisdobb wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:18 am I have installed Nextbase dash cam, front & rear cameras, into Ultimate hybrid using the boot cigar lighter outlet.
Thanks for this information, i hadn't realised that there was a 12v socket in the boot. No need to find a fuse to piggy back on to.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post