2021 Tuscon Nav update

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
GrassSnake

Post by GrassSnake »

Hi all.

I'm really new to the forum, post #2, but I thought I would dive straight in with a technical query....

I'm going to update my Nav/Infotainment tonight on my 2021 Tuscon Ultimate. It was last updated in November 2021!!!!

When I do the update, can I plug in the USB pen drive and leave it to do its thing (relying on the cars battery(s) power) or do I really have to sit in the car with the engine running for up to 2 hours (the time it takes to upgrade according to the old u-tube)??

If so, can I start the engine and then lock it using Bluelink or the spare keys? If so, because the key has to be with the vehicle, what's to stop someone else opening the car and driving off? My car keys does come with the remote start circle ( I think!), would this offer an alternative?

Thanks for reading,

G.S.

GrassSnake

Post by GrassSnake »

Hello fellow members.
I haven't yet managed to do the update, could anyone shed any light on this before I proceed?

Many thanks

G.S.
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

I wasn't going to post as I can't remember the wording that pops up for the update.

However, I've done a few updates. First update I was prompted to turn off the car and lock. The update then proceeded and completed circa 45minutes without me needing to babysit it.

The 2nd time, not sure what I did differently, but I ended up with the ignition on and the update ran, again, circa 45minutes. I was sat in the car on my drive.
GrassSnake

Post by GrassSnake »

Hi DotDotDotDot

Thanks for the reply, the car hasnt been updated since November '21 so I dont know if that will make a difference to the time it takes?

I assume I can go straight from nov 21 to latest November 23 update without doing the updates I've (well the precious owner) missed?

ATB

G.S.
Deleted User 1711

Post by Deleted User 1711 »

I thought updates are cumulative but I'm sure it will tell you if you need to apply a previous update first. The biggest updates by far is the mapping. Other stuff such as infotainment options/changes are few and far between, I even think some options have removed. Its the firmware bug fixed that you can't see and are not documented that help in keeping the system stable.

Be interesting to see how long it takes as effectively you will be applying the equivalent of 4 updates, possibly more if the car was late 2021 as it may even be running an earlier 2021 software.
terryp

Post by terryp »

From what I can remember from the update I did last year, there is a prompt to either keep the car running or to continue after the ignition is switched off.
I've never tried the latter but I know other members of the Forum have with no problem.
What have you got to lose?
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

terryp wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:39 amthere is a prompt to either keep the car running or to continue after the ignition is switched off.
Thanks ’terryp’ for that confirmation of what I thought was the case but couldn’t quite remember with any certainty......it’s an age thing!☹️
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
P1car00n007

Post by P1car00n007 »

You can totally leave the USB in for the update; your car battery's got it covered. No need to keep the engine running for two hours – that sounds excessive. Just leave the ignition on without the engine.
GrassSnake

Post by GrassSnake »

Thanks to everyone for the replies...

I think I might just go for it, set the update away and see what the car tells me. i have a good book to read, if I need to sit and wait...

The owners manual, lets see what all these buttons do!! :-)

G.S.
GrassSnake

Post by GrassSnake »

Hi everyone.

It's done, no real drama, it got to 100% in about 20 minutes and I thought, what a result!!! Then it started at 1% again, but it was much quicker...
Upto 100 % again and then a countdown from 10 and it was job done.
Time taken 45 mins.
It did advise that the engine needed to be running, but it started up once for a minute and the rest of the time was battery power.

I was hoping for a wireless android auto, after skimming the notes, but reading them a second time tells me it's the Ioniq That has gained this feature.

Once again, thanks for the assistance...

G.S.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post