Granny charger query

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

I also use a smart socket for timed charging (not tapo) which works really nicely. The datasheet says it's not suitable for EV charging but also says it's 13a rated and never gets hot. I suspect it's just ass covering.

The Hyundai scheduler is unreliable, timed socket is the way to go unless you have Octopus Agile and need a wall box
My first and certainly last Hyundai: 2022 Tucson Phev Ultimate

Lonegun

Post by Lonegun »

David3 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:09 pm
Lonegun wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:50 pm nothing in there, im thinking its because im runninf of an extension
I'm running mine from an extension through a a timed socket as the cars scheduled charging kept falling, have you checked the settings on the charger if it has any? Ours has several power levels but not sure if there is an off position
I'll try starting it on 10A instead of 13A it stopped charging after about 45 mins and then would only charge for periods of around 15 mins. might have been overheating i guess although plug stayed at normal temp when i touched it.
23 Plate PHEV Ultimate Dark Teal,Black Interior
Ordered 22/08/2022
Collected 07/03/2023
roadster

Post by roadster »

I have a third party charger which I set at a nominal 10 amps. In practice it runs at around 9 amps. To solve the extension issue I bought some heavy duty ( 30 amp ) flexible cable, routed it semi-permanently through a windows frame, and wired it to an outdoor rated covered socket in a sheltered location. Both the indoor standard 3 pin socket and the external socket run quite warm in prolonged use so I haven't risked trying the 13 amp setting. Note that if the supply is temporarily cut off for any reason the device will not resume charging automatically. Finally if you do use long cables of any type do not be tempted to leave surplus cable looped on a drum or similar, because if you create an induction loop at these high currents it will melt down!

If the trend towards very fast charging electric cars continues I can see people will be demanding three phase supplies to their homes!
Tucson PHEV Premium

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post