REVERSE GEAR FAILURE

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
ERE

Post by ERE »

The car was started, reverse gear definitely engaged as the gear stick was in the reverse gear position and the rear view camera which comes on when the reverse gear is engaged was on. On lifting the clutch the automatic hand brake came off and the car moved forward and could only be stopped by slamming on the foot break. This happened a second time with the consequence that the front of the car came into contact with a car in front of it as it was parked on a small slope and rolled forward when in reverse gear. This could have been catastrophic if parked next to a steep slope or jetty or if someone was walking in front of the car at the time. The vehicle was recovered by break down truck and taken to the Hyundai garage who say there is no fault in the gear box, transmission or anything else. Hyundai has been written to but there has been no response. Obviously concerned because this is a serious defect and the car is no longer parked on any slope as it cannot be trusted. Has anyone had a similar experience or an understanding of what happened? Thank you

PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

I once set off (really fast) backwards, in a Seat Leon :o . I'd just got the car and kept getting 3rd instead of 1st, so on this occasion, I gave the lever a definite hard push to the "top left" position. I'd obviously managed to push down at the same time and got Reverse, which unusually, was right next to 1st...
Last edited by PhilHornby on Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
r0n

Post by r0n »

You don't say what model your car is or how old your car is .

My Tuscon would sometimes not engage reverse gear at first attempt , I've had many new cars that have done this over the years , I've never found it a serious issue . My car's a few months old. ( 1.6 manual petrol )

As far as I know the parking brake / hand brake does not disengage automatically , I know mine doesn't and the car will stall if I try to drive off with the parking brake / hand brake applied.

Are you sure you don't mean the auto hold ? There is a section on auto hold and reverse in the manual for my car . On my car the auto hold does not work with reverse gear .

*** Edited for reference to manual
2023 Tucson - Premium - Petrol - Manual
Redtips1

Post by Redtips1 »

r0n wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:06 pm You don't say what model your car is or how old your car is .

My Tuscon would sometimes not engage reverse gear at first attempt , I've had many new cars that have done this over the years , I've never found it a serious issue . My car's a few months old. ( 1.6 manual petrol )

As far as I know the parking brake / hand brake does not disengage automatically , I know mine doesn't and the car will stall if I try to drive off with the parking brake / hand brake applied.

Are you sure you don't mean the auto hold ? There is a section on auto hold and reverse in the manual for my car . On my car the auto hold does not work with reverse gear .

*** Edited for reference to manual
Redtips1

Post by Redtips1 »

Sorry about that latest post don’t know what I did there
Have a 23 plate Tucson manual not hybrid etc
Has anyone a work round for being on a hill/ slope facing down the way and trying to use reverse gear as r0n says auto hold disengages when reverse is selected, so how does one reverse up a hill from a stop without rolling forward, surely it is not safe and a car design fault
Cheers
r0n

Post by r0n »

Redtips1 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:31 pm Sorry about that latest post don’t know what I did there
Have a 23 plate Tucson manual not hybrid etc
Has anyone a work round for being on a hill/ slope facing down the way and trying to use reverse gear as r0n says auto hold disengages when reverse is selected, so how does one reverse up a hill from a stop without rolling forward, surely it is not safe and a car design fault
Cheers
To the top right of the box you type in to post a message you'll see three icons any of the previous posts you make , the one with the pencil / crayon looking icon is the one you can use to edit your posts if you need to add anything or whatever.

My car is a non hybrid manual , I've not had any problems reversing up a slope as yet . I came from cars with a manual handbrake so the change to an electronic parking brake and auto hold has meant I've had to adapt my driving style . I don't think I could properly tell you how I reverse up a slope as it's second nature now, besides what works for me may not work for you . If you put a basic query to a search engine you should get some information which may be useful to you , I did just look and got a whole load of results on how to reverse up a slope / hill with an electronic parking brake.

As an aside I much prefer a manual handbrake but I found options are limited when it comes to finding a new car with one.
2023 Tucson - Premium - Petrol - Manual

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post