Major Acceleration defect causes collision

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
Zentime

Post by Zentime »

I drive a 2021 Tucson phev, bought new- While moving slowly in heavy traffic, I released my foot off the brake pedal and the car surged forward at 100% acceleration , by the time I realised what happened and applied the brake , I had impacted the car in front. This acceleration problem is well documented with the similar Elantra hybrid models in the USA with 38000 recalls due this October 2023,they have issued a Technical service bulletin, which states that this problem could cause a crash. I have forwarded this info to my local dealer who has dealt with the matter very professionally and with courtesy but Hyundai ireland dismiss the situation as ‘an unintended throttle response’ , not recognising the similarity with this problem and the U.S Elantra .furthermore they explain that collision avoidance does not activate when acceleration is applied- how bizarre.does anyone have a similar experience?

Indalo

Post by Indalo »

Zentime wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:43 am This acceleration problem is well documented with the similar Elantra hybrid models in the USA with 38000 recalls due this October 2023
I’m bound to say that I haven’t heard of the problem you describe which is not to say that it is not the same as the American Elantra issue.

To be fair though, I’m not sure that it’s reasonable to compare the Tucson with what is a completely different vehicle - the Elantra being a fastback-styled saloon, rather than a high-riding SUV. I shall be interested, however, to see if any forum members respond, citing the same problem you have raised here.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
Zentime

Post by Zentime »

Thanks for your input, having done some research it seems both vehicles share the same engine and hybrid management system, I think perhaps that the physical shape or target market might not be as relevant, but hey at this stage maybe I’ve just developed’ tunnel vision’ on this.
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Zentime wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:43 am This acceleration problem is well documented with the similar Elantra hybrid models in the USA with 38000 recalls due this October 2023,they have issued a Technical service bulletin, which states that this problem could cause a crash.
This TSB :?: : https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/R ... 9-6587.pdf

With an analysis here: https://tflcar.com/2023/08/hyundai-elan ... on-recall/
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

‘PhilHornby’, presuming that you have unearthed the correct TSB, I’m surprised that it relates purely to the Elantra model, as far as I can ascertain. There is no reference to the American Tucson model unless I missed it?

If the OP is adamant that the admitted US fault is the same issue that raised his concerns, then I would expect the matter to be common knowledge in Hyundai forums, not only in the US, but here in the UK too. I note, however, that the TSB refers specifically to a slow, unanticipated acceleration that can occur, which doesn’t sound the same as the OP’s description of the 100% acceleration which caused him to impact another vehicle.

It may be the case that there are differences between the Elantra MCU software and that utilised in the Tucson model which could account for the absence of the inclusion of the Tucson in the US recall.....or simply that no Tucson owner has yet experienced the problem. That, of course, would be strange as the American car-buying public are far more litigious than here in the UK.

The issue troubles me as I have to squeeze my car into some really tight parallel parking slots daily and I wouldn’t want to have that unintended acceleration problem occur when I’m almost bumper to bumper with other vehicles......I know - there are no bumpers these days! :roll:
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post