2016 Tuscon N/S/R Wheel Speed Sensor Fault?

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
G0053

Post by G0053 »

Hi All - Hoping for some assistance please with 2016 1.7 Tuscon - Manual, and not with electric parking brake.

I have a combination of the ABS, ESC, Downhill Brake, AEB, Hillside Assist warning lights come on, then shortly after start-up I get the Check BSD warning message come up.

Called the RAC and they plugged in their tablet and the only fault code identified was for the N/S/R Wheel Speed and ABS Sensor. They also said that the sensor can instigate other warning like BSD.
This has now been replaced with Quinton Hazel part. (also took the opportunity to replace discs and pads at the same time as discs were a bit shabby.

The same warning lights are still coming on after fitting the replacement sensor and hub assembly.
Do these need to be reset by the dealer is should it be automatic?
Is there a common fault known with a connector somewhere else?

If I disconnect the sensor lead connector at the wheel hub, and I put multi-meter probes in the cable end to check if any voltage is coming down the line, it shows 0v (with ignition on).

Any suggestions on what else could be the issue here and how would I check it, or what should I ask the dealer to check first?

Thanks in advance.
Tim

PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Can only offer general help ...

There's probably a fuse for the ABS system - you can check that.

A fault detected by the ABS sensor could log codes for all those other systems, because they also potentially make use of it too.

A Scan Tool that knows how to talk to your particular ABS module is the quickest way to reset the ABS light. A generic EOBD scan tool will probably know nothing of the ABS system (because it's not emissions-related).

There's a general principle that error codes will reset, if the fault goes away. However, this takes an unspecified number of drive cycles. (Precisely what constitutes a drive-cycle varies too :( ).

If the sensor is a simple passive type, then it's probably just a coil, that outputs a small AC voltage, when the wheel turns . With the wheel at rest, there would be no voltage output, but you could check for continuity - maybe 1KΩ?

With the car powered on, you could check for DC voltage between either of the car-side conductors to chassis. If you find such a voltage, then it's trying to power the sensor, so it is an active type, that outputs a data signal on the other conductor. Debugging an active sensor would require more than a multimeter ...

(Some info here: https://bcabearings.com/videos/the-diff ... %20output.)
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Philr

Post by Philr »

I had a RAV4 that was showing a problem with the left rear ABS sensor which meant the ABS didn't work and which in turn meant that cruise control no longer worked nor did downhill assist.
In actual fact it was the brake light switch that was knackered - the car had done >120,000 miles. So your problem could be something completely left field.
I found this out on an American RAV4 forum so all I can suggest is you have a look round to see if there are other forums that may help.
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV
G0053

Post by G0053 »

Thanks for your replies @PhilHornby and @Philr

I had a thorough diagnostics check done today, the guys used a MaxiCom tablet (said it had cost him over £3k for that)
and, surprise - surprise, the aftermarket parts that were supposed to be 'compatible' with OEM parts, aren't.
The Live Data feed displayed all four ABS Wheel Speed Sensors working, so all the wiring is good, however, the two new sensors were registering twice the speed of the existing front ones. I couldn't believe what he was showing me as he drove the car. They are also not configurable.

I've registered a warranty claim to the aftermarket supplier and they have agreed to give me a full refund.

I now have to buy genuine Hyundai Sensors - which will arrive this week at nearly 4 x the cost.

The good news is that the Diagnostics guy said that the system should reset itself when genuine parts are fitted, but if it didn't, he won't charge me to come and do it.
He also said that this is a recurring problem when buying cheaper aftermarket sensors as they have come across it very often.

Happy Days ahead 🤪🤬
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

G0053 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:12 pm the two new sensors were registering twice the speed of the existing front ones.
Yes, I can see that causing an issue :D
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
G0053

Post by G0053 »

Final Update 20/10/23:

Removed the pattern wheel bearing and speed sensor hubs and replaced them with genuine OEM from Hyundai, and within 10metres of driving, all fault warning lights have gone.

It only took me around 45 mins to do the complete replacement of both sides, as nothing was ‘seized’ to the brake back plates this time.
Philr

Post by Philr »

Cool! - Where are you as you're obviously handy with spanners and I might need you in the future :-)
Phil

I don't have a carbon footprint because I drive everywhere.

2022 Premium HEV

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post