Plug-in hybrid heating the car

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
David3

Post by David3 »

Sorry if this has already been asked but I haven't managed to find it,
Im sure I read on here that the plugin hybrid starts the engine if you need heat in the car as the battery doesn't have the same liquid cooling as a full EV does? After hearing a fan running on the car whilst being on charge I looked at the EV battery and it does have coolant pipes running to and from it, my question is is there a setting on the car to use this heat to warm the interior of the car at a set time on a cold morning?
Thanks

David
Tucson ultimate plug-in with tech pack in Dark Knight grey pearl, not our first colour choice but it was available straight away instead of waiting till next year🙈😂

DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

Sadly not, this feature is available in other countries, and i believe on the Santa Fe in the UK
My first and certainly last Hyundai: 2022 Tucson Phev Ultimate
David3

Post by David3 »

DrElectron wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:44 am Sadly not, this feature is available in other countries, and i believe on the Santa Fe in the UK
Thanks for the reply, it seems crazy not to be able to use that surplus heat, another thing I don't get is the climate control, my understanding of climate control when it was brought out years ago was that unlike the old air-conditioning that could only cool your car climate control was more like the units that you have in an office they can also heat as well as cool then most of them on car's went from being run via a belt from the engine to being electric however on the Hyundai technology seems to have gone backwards if the engine needs to run to supply heat to the vehicle 🤷
Tucson ultimate plug-in with tech pack in Dark Knight grey pearl, not our first colour choice but it was available straight away instead of waiting till next year🙈😂
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

All climate controls are basically the same, you have a heater and a cooler and the internal sensor switches between the two to create the correct temperature in the room/space. In some cars the heat comes from electric (including some ICE volvos which have electric heating)
My first and certainly last Hyundai: 2022 Tucson Phev Ultimate

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post