Plug in Hybrid Engine Failure (1000 miles)

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
Gunkan

Post by Gunkan »

Hi All - I have a 23 plate Tucson (Ultimate) 4WD Plug in Hybrid. I have only owned it a couple of months and have travelled only 1016 miles. Last week on the dual carriageway i lost all hybrid power, and then a few minutes later - all electric power. AA diagnostics point to a electric and hybrid engine failure....it had to be recovered to the dealership. A technician let slip that this was the second car that week of the same type - with the same problem. Has anyone else on the forum come across this? How can i prepare myself for the inevitable negotiations to get it fixed/ replaced....

Saltcreek

Post by Saltcreek »

2 in a week is just coincidental and nothing more. What negotiations do you think are going to happen? It is brand new with a full warranty, Hyundai will foot the bill unless you have done something to cause the damage (which I am assuming you did not)
joolstdi

Post by joolstdi »

I think I have read this on a American forum before that it a sensor on the EV battery and when this goes faulty its like if some one just turned off a switch.
As the EV engine does not think that there is a battery connected If that makes any sense.
Tucson Ultimate PHEV Auto + Teck Pack
Ordered Jan 2022
Delivered June 2022
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

Saltcreek wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:30 pm 2 in a week is just coincidental and nothing more. What negotiations do you think are going to happen? It is brand new with a full warranty, Hyundai will foot the bill unless you have done something to cause the damage (which I am assuming you did not)
My very thoughts on this disastrous occurrence encapsulated in a couple of lines!
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

I'm sure Hyundai will try their best to blame the customer, somehow.
But unless the engine went bang, pop, crunch or had billowing smoke, it's probably a sensor issue which the ECU isn't programmed to handle
My first and certainly last Hyundai: 2022 Tucson Phev Ultimate
Gunkan

Post by Gunkan »

Interesting responses. Here is my view. The electric and hybrid motor/ engines have failed. The Petrol engine sounds like a bag of spanners (A start was only attempted to get it into Neutral for recovery).
Is it my fault - No. I was driving, I lost hybrid power, I lost electric power - a warning light came on (hybrid system failure) and it stopped (time start to finish: about 2 mins) only delay was finding a safe place to stop on a dual carriageway.

There are multiple issues here.

1. I have been sold faulty goods
2. Faulty goods will need to be repaired or replaced - it is under warranty, however i suspect the damage is such that it will still need to be looked at by an assessor.
3. This will take time - we waited a year for the car, current order times vary between 6-9 months, i would estimate a minimum of 3 months for parts

I suppose my real fear is around the "rebuild" - I have real doubts that a rebuild will not lead to further problems down the line, and remain to be convinced.

There is no upside here (and no expectation of such). Just hours of admin. It's my 3rd Hyundai. The other 2 (Santa Fe Premium SE 68 Plate), and 23 plate i10 Premium SE have been/ were brilliant, as was dealership support so far (although they have had the Tucson now for 4 days, and are pretty quiet). Let's see where we net out.
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

Gunkan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:17 am
There are multiple issues here.

Please keep forum readers posted on developments in this sad story.

It’s worth remembering that no car brand is immune from the odd disaster; not even Rolls Royce, Ferrari and all the other motoring exotica. Anyone hoping to minimise the chance of anything going wrong with their prized possession would do research that would probably lead them to the Toyota brand. However, there are people for whom such a brand label does not adequately represent the image that they wish other people to have of them!
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
Gunkan

Post by Gunkan »

@Indalo. I will keep this group updated.

Interestingly enough an engineer phoned me this morning to talk through the issue. He said, they actually drove it into the workshop........it has no charge so this would have been on petrol only (which didn't work last week) - May be its a simple solution after all.......fingers crossed.
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

Gunkan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:31 am May be its a simple solution after all.......fingers crossed.
👍

Many thanks, ‘Guncan’.🤞🏻
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

Gunkan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:17 am Is it my fault - No. I was driving, I lost hybrid power, I lost electric power - a warning light came on (hybrid system failure) and it stopped (time start to finish: about 2 mins) only delay was finding a safe place to stop on a dual carriageway.
I would be cautious about using this as your official statement.
If a warning was present and you continued to drive for 2 minutes then they will argue that you may have caused further damage which is your responsibility.
I'm saying this due my own experience with the bunch of crooks that go by the name of Hyundai
My first and certainly last Hyundai: 2022 Tucson Phev Ultimate

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post