Tucson 2022 1.6 Tgdi Manual Gearbox -Small thump sound when pressing the clutch and shifting into 1 or second gear

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
cyrusdcb

Post by cyrusdcb »

Hello,

I have a non hybrid, 1.6 Gamma Tgdi petrol Tucson purchased an year ago. It has 13.000km on the odometer.

I started to notice a few day ago that when the car is in neutral and I press the clutch pedal and shift the gear knob into first gear a small "dum" noise is produced by the drivetrain. It seems to be audible only when the ac/navigation is off and it seems to send a barely noticeable joult though out the car. It is barely noticeable but it's there. It happens when the pedal is pressed, the gear lever is on the left position and when I push the lever up it produces that small sound.

When engaging the reverse gear no sound is audible( or at least I think so because it's masked by the annoying reverse warning beep).

When I keep the clutch pedal pressed for 5 seconds and then try to put it in gear the noise disappears.

The dealership sent me on my way telling me all is fine but just wanted to get some feedback from you guys if you also have that thump sound.

Thank you for all your help and sorry for my bad English.

daibill

Post by daibill »

14.5k manual. No noise or thump on mine. Maybe a little notchy when cold other than that, smooth and precise.
2022 1.6 Manual Premium Engine Red
Red ones are faster! ;)
cyrusdcb

Post by cyrusdcb »

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. No problem with gear selection on mine... Works perfectly cold/warmed up. The only thing is the small muffled bang sound like the synchros are not engaging perfectly. The sound is barely noticeable on mine.
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

cyrusdcb wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:01 pm The dealership sent me on my way telling me all is fine but just wanted to get some feedback from you guys if you also have that thump sound.
sorry for my bad English.
First of all, ‘cyrusdcb', welcome to the forum and and don’t worry about your command of English. Compared to quite a few contributors to these pages, your post was of a high level!

I note that there is already a response from ‘daibill’ and perhaps over the next day or two, there may be others. My own impression is that it is a clutch-based problem but only you can judge the seriousness. However, if there is another Hyundai dealership not too far away from you, it might be worth a visit, in that it may produce a different opinion from your local dealership.

Engine and gearbox mountings should be in excellent condition but they need checking along with any visible clutch linkage.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
r0n

Post by r0n »

My car's a manual , it doesn't make a noise when engaging first gear, however the car is only a few months old.

Re the ' reverse warning beep ' , my car only beeps when the parking sensors detect something, if it's annoying it can be turned off ; there's a button alongside the gear selector labelled P ( above the heated seat control if you have that option ) that will be lit with an orange light when on , that can toggle the rear parking sensors on and off on my car . Pretty sure theres an option in the settings menu on the touchscreen to turn it off too.
2023 Tucson - Premium - Petrol - Manual
cyrusdcb

Post by cyrusdcb »

Hello,

Thank you for all your replies. I checked on a different Tucson of the same year model and the small thump sound is there.

The sound I'm describing is very tricky to hear but with all other stuff disengaged (radio, ac) and the windows closed, it is audible. Not a bothering sound but sounds like a synchro thump.

Thank you

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post