Check your wheel nuts !

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

This thread was going to be entitled, "Does anyone else have a pulsing through the steering, under medium braking" - but I found the culprit.

The car has done 5000 miles now, so I thought it would be a good time to rotate the wheels F->B, L-R (as per the manual!). Imagine my surprise, when I found out how loose the wheel nuts were ... only just greater than finger tight. Using an ancient 'Beam style' Torque Wrench, I estimate that they were at about 15~20 N.m (rather than the specified 110Nm!).

The locking nuts were all tight; I think these must have been fitted by the Dealer, rather than the factory (since the originals were in a bag in the glove box).

There are no words :( :o :shock: :x :evil: :roll: :!: ....

(As for the locking wheel nut 'key', it's just itching to slip sideward and destroy itself or the nut (especially at 110Nm). Note to self - be careful with them!)
Last edited by PhilHornby on Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22

Indalo

Post by Indalo »

PhilHornby wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:19 am I estimate that they were at about 15~20 N.m (rather than the specified 110Nm!).

That is frightening! How a vehicle can be delivered to a customer in that condition is beyond me. Someone, either at the factory, at the import site from where the cars are transported to dealerships, or at those dealerships, ought to be responsible and I mean legally responsible for ensuring that all vehicles are ready for use, roadworthy and legally compliant.

I can easily envisage a prosecution for manslaughter emanating from the possible consequences of such shoddy practice in the worst scenario. I’m reminded of the little tale of ’Somebody, Anybody and Nobody’.

I think I would be wise now to unearth my torque wrench and man-size wheel brace just in case!

Thanks for raising that issue, 'PhilHornby’.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
Pogleswood

Post by Pogleswood »

I once had a Cortina estate company car, I know I’m old, it went in for a service, I collected the car hadn’t even got out of dealers car park when both front wheels came off due to them forgetting to check the nuts were tight….
NewMrP

Post by NewMrP »

The first time I took my new Ford Mondeo out for a spin I’d barely done a mile when the engine overheated. Limped to the dealer who discovered a water pipe hanging off that hadn’t been connected. I agree that the mind boggles as to how the dealer keeps the car for c 2 weeks to do pre delivery checks which can miss wheel nuts and water pipes……🙄
2023 Ultimate PHEV
Dark Teal
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Someone posted a Youtube video-tour of a Hyundai factory; I wouldn't be at all surprised if there isn't a robot dedicated to putting the wheels on the car , since there was one for putting the spare in the boot!...

...in which case, it might not just be my car that's affected.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post