New Tucson Ultimate Panoramic Sunroof Seals Cracked Up

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
ddav99@gmail.com

Post by ddav99@gmail.com »

I took delivery of a brand new Tucson Ultimate from a main dealer in April this year and had been very pleased with it, until I looked closely at the roof last week whilst thinking about getting some roof bars. To my surprise, I immediately saw that the panoramic sunroof seals that run the full length of the roof on both sides were badly cracked and broken open in multiple places. Nothing has happened to the car since I have had it - it has not even been hand washed yet, let alone been through a car wash. The seals must have been in this condition when the car was delivered, but being hidden behind the roof bars, I did not notice. See picture of one of the breaks in the seal. I have booked the car in to have the seals looked at under warranty, but wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience, had heard of a similar issue or had any advice. I didn't see anything similar in the forums. Thanks.

20230719_174212.jpg

Indalo

Post by Indalo »

ddav99@gmail.com wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:35 pm the panoramic sunroof seals that run the full length of the roof on both sides were badly cracked and broken open in multiple places.
I’m not familiar with the Tucson roof seals but is that actually the seals in your pic or the remains of the protective film that covers many parts of new cars in transit from the factory?

I really cannot imagine rubber seals perishing in such a new car so I shall be interested to read a follow-up after your KIA dealership has examined the roof area, if you would be so kind.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
ddav99@gmail.com

Post by ddav99@gmail.com »

Thanks for the comments - I too cannot imagine rubber seals perishing so completely, so soon in such a new car, but there are 4 cracked up sections on one side and 5 on the other - the one shown in the picture is the longest section - the others are only about 1-2 inches inches long each. If it was a 40 year old car it might make sense. Anyway, I now have it booked into my local dealer for a 'warranty examination' in early August. I will update with what they say....
Indalo

Post by Indalo »

ddav99@gmail.com wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:14 pm I now have it booked into my local dealer for a 'warranty examination' in early August. I will update with what they say....
Thanks; I’m sure other readers of these pages will wish to know how the dealership respond.

Good luck with it.
2023 Tucson Hybrid (HEV) Ultimate; ordered 12/05/23 - collected from dealership 07/06/23.
Tenbytriker

Post by Tenbytriker »

Hi guys just checked mine not as bad but starting to go

20230725_073250.jpg

check yours now trip to dealer i thinks stay safe guys
Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

Tenbytriker wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:36 am Hi guys just checked mine not as bad but starting to go20230725_073250.jpg check yours now trip to dealer i thinks stay safe guys
I checked mine when this was reported and they are all fine. A while back, in an attempt to stop the roof creaking, I used a silicon equivalent to both clean and soften the seals. I'm going to do this on a regular basis as it doesn't actually take long. It stopped the creaking and I just wonder if it will protect the seals from longer term drying out/hardening/cracking. Time will tell I suppose.

20230721_124139.jpg

Beards

Post by Beards »

IngerzSH wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:47 am
Tenbytriker wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:36 am Hi guys just checked mine not as bad but starting to go20230725_073250.jpg check yours now trip to dealer i thinks stay safe guys
I checked mine when this was reported and they are all fine. A while back, in an attempt to stop the roof creaking, I used a silicon equivalent to both clean and soften the seals. I'm going to do this on a regular basis as it doesn't actually take long. It stopped the creaking and I just wonder if it will protect the seals from longer term drying out/hardening/cracking. Time will tell I suppose.
What was the silicon equivalent you used Ingerz and any method in applying? Thanks.
Not got my Tucson yet but I want to arm myself with enough extrasto stop any issues.
Tucson PHEV Ultimate + Tech Pack. Amazon Grey/Moss Grey
Ordered: 10 May 2022
Estimated Delivery: Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb 2022/23
Dealers: 28 Feb 2023
Pick up: 08 Mar 2023
Refused: 08 Mar 2023
New Order: 08 Mar 2023
Picked up: 18 Jan 2024
Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

Beards wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:04 am
What was the silicon equivalent you used Ingerz and any method in applying? Thanks.
Not got my Tucson yet but I want to arm myself with enough extrasto stop any issues.
I used GT85 and a microfibre cloth. I opened the roof fully first and cleaned the wind deflector and then used a hoover attachment to get all the detritus out that had gathered. I also had to put the roof on tilt to get as some of the seal as it's a bit space limited.

As you can imagine, there are numerous products out there for seal lubrication/protection. I used the product I already had, but first checked it was OK on rubber seals.
I'm gonna repeat the process every 3 months as it certainly quietened down the creaky roof and hopefully will help to keep it in reasonable condition.
Beards

Post by Beards »

IngerzSH wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:39 am
Beards wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:04 am
I used GT85 and a microfibre cloth. I opened the roof fully first and cleaned the wind deflector and then used a hoover attachment to get all the detritus out that had gathered. I also had to put the roof on tilt to get as some of the seal as it's a bit space limited.

As you can imagine, there are numerous products out there for seal lubrication/protection. I used the product I already had, but first checked it was OK on rubber seals.
I'm gonna repeat the process every 3 months as it certainly quietened down the creaky roof and hopefully will help to keep it in reasonable condition.
Brilliant….. Thanks mate, appreciated. Info copied for later use. 👍
Tucson PHEV Ultimate + Tech Pack. Amazon Grey/Moss Grey
Ordered: 10 May 2022
Estimated Delivery: Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb 2022/23
Dealers: 28 Feb 2023
Pick up: 08 Mar 2023
Refused: 08 Mar 2023
New Order: 08 Mar 2023
Picked up: 18 Jan 2024
Al94

Post by Al94 »

I use this for the same purpose