Gearbox

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
TonyP

Post by TonyP »

2016 SE Premium .Took vehicle out, stopped and switched engine off. Went to start again and could only put into 2nd gear. Can only place now into 1st & 2nd - cannot place into 3rd, 4th, reverse and neutral.

Whilst driving in 1st 2nd gear stick just slides up and down as if synchro has gone.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tony

PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

It's clearly suffered some kind of major internal trauma :(

I've suffered gearbox problems myself, way back in the 90's. The main issue is that they quoted something like 12 hours labour for a gearbox swap, so the costs soon mount up. I opted for a reconditioned gearbox, in which case, it's worth checking out where it's coming from and what their idea of 'reconditioning' amounts to. (It can range from replacing obviously bent/snapped/broken bits, to checking the clearances of every little shim). The one I ended up with was extremely stiff to use (and it was the second one they fitted, the first one being totally seized on arrival!)

I don't know if Hyundai main dealers have access to factory-approved reconditioned parts or even if they offer reconditioned parts at all. If the labour is coming out anything like 12 hours, you probably won't be entertaining a main dealer anyway.

Have I imagined it, or did Hyundai once offer a 7 year warranty in the UK? ('cos 2023-2016=7!')

An afterthought: it might just turn out to be something trivial with the gear lever linkage - you never know your luck.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
TonyP

Post by TonyP »

Thanks Phil. Now in my local garage for assessment. Certainly will not be using main dealer as 20 miles away and can only drive in 2nd gear.

Hyundai only offer 5 year warranty in UK, its Kia who offer 7 years but normally gearboxes/clutch are not covered.
Al94

Post by Al94 »

Sounds potentially like a broken clutch spring. Had that issue with a jaguar a few years back and the repair was covered by warranty as deemed a failure rather than clutch wear and tear. Good luck!
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Ultimate 5dr 2WD Auto
TonyP

Post by TonyP »

My local garage says after investigation cable(s) operating gears had/have completely snapped. Not an on the shelf item, so a week without vehicle whilst ordered by Hyundai. It could have been a lot worse, though still a tidy sum to repair with parts being more than labour!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post