Blue link alarm check battery status

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
Pogleswood

Post by Pogleswood »

Hi wondered if anyone knew what this alert means “Please check battery status” which I’ve just received, unfortunately I can’t check the manual as it’s under the boot floor which is loaded with luggage.

I’ve done a vehicle status report from the app and it tells me vehicle status is fine.

Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid

terryp

Post by terryp »

Did the alert come up on your phone or on the infotainment screen?
Tucson Ultimate Auto 230PS in Dark Teal. Love it!!
Pogleswood

Post by Pogleswood »

Hi

It’s come up on blue link app.
I have a suspicion it might be for the traction battery as we’ve done a lot of low speed driving this afternoon mainly on EV with air con blasting out, I did notice that the traction battery level was only just above empty, unfortunately the car is currently sitting in the parking garage on board the pride of hull so I can’t check it till the morning.
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

Pogleswood wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:42 pm Hi wondered if anyone knew what this alert means “Please check battery status”
I have a suspicion it might be for the traction battery as we’ve done a lot of low speed driving this afternoon mainly on EV with air con blasting out, I did notice that the traction battery level was only just above empty.
You're probably right, since the traction battery is the only one you can see the status of. I can't imagine what it's expecting you to do though, since you have no control over when the car charges it - and it can't be charged externally (well not easily) :(

Of course, the Traction battery is also used to start the ICE, so you'll know soon enough what the 'battery status' is. Finger's crossed... :!:
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

Pogleswood wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:42 pm Hi wondered if anyone knew what this alert means “Please check battery status” which I’ve just received, unfortunately I can’t check the manual as it’s under the boot floor which is loaded with luggage.

I’ve done a vehicle status report from the app and it tells me vehicle status is fine.

Hyundai Tucson Ultimate Hybrid
I've has a skim of the manual and I can't see anything obvious. May be completely unrelated, but my last VW used to flash up a battery warning if my smartkey battery was low.
Pogleswood

Post by Pogleswood »

Quick update on the alarm check battery status, got in the car this morning to depart the ferry, turned on ignition, car had done a reset, traction battery was on 0 so quickly tried to start engine, after 3 attempts it started some what reluctantly, kept engine revving in sport mode much to the annoyance of the ferry crew, told them it’s either that or they push us off the ferry, fortunately by the time it was our turn to depart the traction battery was on a quarter, had no further issues on the 250 mile drive today.
On the return journey I’m definitely going to make sure the traction battery is at least a quarter full before going on the ferry.

Tuscon Ultimate Hybrid.
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

This is all quite worrying.

AIUI, if you were creeping along on the electric motor and in danger of flattening the battery, it should have started the ICE (keeping the clutch pulled in, so with the EV light 'on') and charged the battery from the HSG (Hybrid Starter Generator).

This web site describes how 'some models' handle running out of petrol (when recharging is not possible).
The instrument cluster displays the state of charge as a bar graph with L indicating 30% charge and H indicating 80%. It is not an indication of the Actual HEV Battery. SOC must be viewed with a scan tool that can access the HCU module.

The vehicle should be gradually reduced down toward a stopped condition as HEV Battery SOC falls from 30% down to 25% (scan tool indicated SOC PID). The engine should be able to run again and charge the battery after fuel is added so long as it did not fall below 20%. If the system fell below 20%, a scan tool might be required to restart the engine and charge the battery after fuel is added. The procedure is called an “Engine On Test.”
It might be worthwhile having the dealer connect their Factory Scan tool to see if there is anything to see. (AIUI, these days lots of 'Freeze Frame' data should be available, detailing the state of most of the cars systems at the time of any fault). Fault Codes tend to get automatically discarded after a preset number of 'normal' drive cycles.

I don't think what you've experienced, is expected behaviour...
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22
PhilHornby

Post by PhilHornby »

From the manual:-
This gauge indicates the remaining
hybrid battery power. If the SOC is
near the “L (Low)” level, the vehicle
automatically operates the engine to
charge the battery.

However, if the Service Indicator
and Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)
turn on when the SOC gauge is near
the “L (Low)” level, we recommend the
vehicle be checked by an authorized
HYUNDAI dealer.
It's odd that you got neither the engine turning on, nor the error indications.
N Line S Hybrid (HEV).
23 plate - built Nov '22

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post