Petrol flap on NX4 Hybrid.

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
iggi

Post by iggi »

Hi fellow tucson NX4 hybrid owners. Just a heads up about the petrol flap. My car is a 2021 hybrid ultimate 20000 miles on the clock. My petrol flap refused to open one week before I was due to tour France. I phoned my dealer who told me it was probably an adjustment issue and they could fix it the day before I went to France as they were really busy. This set alarm bells ringing so I scoured my manual to find a emergency cable I could pull in the boot. No joy. I then scoured my boot to try and find said emergency cable. No joy. I phoned Hyundai head office and told them of my plight. They told me there is a cable and someone would be in touch to tell me where it is. After speaking to a few people and photo's sent to help me locate the cable they admitted there wasn't one. I went straight to my dealer and told them it was not an adjustment but an actuator problem and there was no emergency pull. They ordered the part and it came just in time to fit before I headed to France. All the other NX4's have an emergency pull cable, not the hybrid. My advice is to keep at least a quarter of a tank before fill up.

Deleted User 616

Post by Deleted User 616 »

iggi wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:04 pm so I scoured my manual to find a emergency cable I could pull in the boot. No joy. I then scoured my boot to try and find said emergency cable.
My manual says this ..... but I've gotta admit I've not had any need to use it so have not looked for it. You got me intriuged so I've just taken everything out of the hatch including the small plastic cover on the left and the manual is indeed incorrect at least for the HEV model. There is no opening without stripping the whole of the arch cover which I'm not gonna do now or in an emergency. Good info iggi.

20230515_171631.jpg

Al94

Post by Al94 »

Now that really is a terrible design failure!
2022 1.6 TGDi Hybrid 230 Ultimate 5dr 2WD Auto
iggi

Post by iggi »

even if you took the arch cover off there is no emergency way of opening it. I asked hyundai who would be liable if I had to rip the petrol flap off. They answered "I don't know"
roadster

Post by roadster »

If the fault is electrical the emergency pull wire is essential but in most cases the flap just stick because the mechanism does not have a positive release. Pulling the wire makes no difference. In an emergency an old store card or credit card did the trick for me. Insert it in the gap at the back of the flap with moderate force then re-trigger the release button. Flap opens and card falls to the ground.
Tucson PHEV Premium
Raggers

Post by Raggers »

Have same issue with the 2022 Hyundai Tuscon Hybrid. Have to use a a plastic ice scraper to in conjunction with pull the manual wire which is situated above back wheel arch in the boot.
Deleted User 616

Raggers wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:31 pm Have same issue with the 2022 Hyundai Tuscon Hybrid. Have to use a a plastic ice scraper to in conjunction with pull the manual wire which is situated above back wheel arch in the boot.
Have you read the previous posts? I and others cannot find a manual release in the boot and iggi has been told by the dealer that there isn't one on the Hybrid. Are you saying your car has a manual release or am I misunderstanding something or is your car a plug-in Hybrid.
Last edited by Deleted User 616 on Wed May 17, 2023 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iggi

Post by iggi »

roadster wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:02 am If the fault is electrical the emergency pull wire is essential but in most cases the flap just stick because the mechanism does not have a positive release. Pulling the wire makes no difference. In an emergency an old store card or credit card did the trick for me. Insert it in the gap at the back of the flap with moderate force then re-trigger the release button. Flap opens and card falls to the ground.
the plug in has a emergency pull wire the hybrid does not.
alan sh

Post by alan sh »

But the hybrid (not plugin) doesn't have a lever or a cable. Push the flap and it pops open.

Alan
Alan

I own a 2022 Ultimate Hybrid with Tech Pack - in Red (best colour).
Also have two motorcycles. Honda CB1300 and Honda CBF1000 (also red, of course).
Deleted User 616

alan sh wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:51 pm But the hybrid (not plugin) doesn't have a lever or a cable. Push the flap and it pops open.

Alan
We are talking about if the flap will not open Alan eg: electric actuator will not allow the flap to open so effectively it's locked. This happened to iggi.

There does not appear to be an emergency release (on the HEV model) in the boot if this happens. Other cars have them as a 'just in case'. But yes ordinarily as you say, you just press on the end of the flap and it opens.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post