Hybrid 12v Battery Anxiety

Faults and Technical chat for the Hyundai Tucson
Mal05

Post by Mal05 »

hi, has anyone with a hybrid had an issue with the 12v battery not holding enough charge to open the car from the fob after say 5 days of not being started. Mine is usually used every day but had an instance of not using it for 5 days and you then have to resort to flicking off part of drivers door handle to gain access to the lock and use the key and then resetting the 12v battery. If and when we are allowed to go on holiday you will definitely have to go through this procedure after 2 weeks away.
Seems like an issue for Hyundai to solve to remove this anxiety.
Mal05

DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

How did you 'reset' the battery?
I love my car, it's just a shame it was made by Hyundai
paulb

Post by paulb »

DrElectron wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:01 am How did you 'reset' the battery?
There's a button on the dash to the right of the steering wheel column
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

Never seen that in another car, wonder what the actual mechanism is, as far as I know there is nothing in a battery to reset?!
Colin-C

Post by Colin-C »

If I have understood the manual correctly, this may have something to do with the fact that the ultimate hybrid does not have a separate 12 volt battery but uses a portion of the main traction batteries for the 12 volt electrics so maybe it, like most computer based things these days, needs a re-boot sometimes!!
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

I wonder why that would only be the case for the ultimate. If that is correct, then does the petrol engine not have an alternator? If it does then it should be able to charge the battery too
Tucron

Post by Tucron »

This may help, I’m sure it must apply to the Tucson as well
Colin-C

Post by Colin-C »

DrElectron wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:34 pm I wonder why that would only be the case for the ultimate. If that is correct, then does the petrol engine not have an alternator? If it does then it should be able to charge the battery too
I guess that as it is a self-charging hybrid, there is no need for an alternator, it makes no real sense to have a separate electrical charging system. The manual says that it starts charging as soon as the "ready to go" green light is on irrespective of whether the petrol engine is running or not.
DrElectron

Post by DrElectron »

Sorry, assumed you were talking about the plug in version
Tucsoned

Post by Tucsoned »

My wife and I have just been to a Portugese Island ( Porto Santo) we left car ( ultimate hybrid )on driveway on Sunday 12th of September . We returned to home and the car this monday evening the 27th of September ie 15 days later .

I was worried I would have to do the reset especially as while we were away one of my adult kids got to close to car on driveway and I had a alarm notification

As I approached car the mirrors seeemed to come out a little lazily but the car opened straight away and switched on immediately although the engine did start very quickly little time on battery.

Either way 15 days plus unused and started
2021 Tucson Hybrid Ultimate with tech pack

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post